To seed or not to seed that is the tomatoe

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kevin20422, Dec 22, 2009.

1. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Say what?

Well at least you see what is on my mind. I wonder if seeding tomatoes in general is a good idea for most any recipe or just when it is specifically called for? I know in a salad you would want the seeds but do they have a mission anywhere else in cooking.

Dont get me wrong, I am not anti-seed here, just curious.

2. chris.lawrence

chris.lawrence

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Its done mainly for texture when cooking (who wants to chew on a seed?). But it also affects the flavour; making the tomatoes somewhat sweeter (the acids in the seed jelly counter the sweetness of the fruit wall). HOWEVER what you lose may also be important; aroma and the acids (if you don't want your dish so sweet), this can be replaced by reducing the seeds (and skins) in another pan until left with a concetrated liquid, and adding this back to your seeded tomato sauce.

To answer your question, its simply a matter of taste and texture, how sweet and how smooth do you want it?

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    You make it sound like it's a rule. It's not. Everyone has their own taste. Some people like to seed tomatoes before making a salad. Some salads call for deseeded tomatoes rather than the full tomato. If you make bread salad you'd probably want the seeds. If you make onion-tomato salsa you probably don't want them.

Usually seeds go hand to hand with juice. They're like little pods of seeds and tomato water. So you gotta ask yourself, do you want the added water in your cooking? Or not?

As for the seeds themselves, our digestive system cannot break them down, so when eaten whole, they're not bringing anything in terms of nutrients (seed extracts are, of course, another story). And that's the whole point: as animals, our role is to carry the seeds a little further to plant another tomato tree (I'll pass on the details ;)), not to break them down and digest them.

Seed or no seed, happy cooking!

4. fl italian

fl italian

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    In a salad I just cut the tomatoes up but if making a dish where I'm adding tomatoes to cook, I always take the seeds out as you don't want the extra water in the cooking, especially if you're trying to keep a sauce 'dry'.

Example, fresh basil, olive oil and tomatoes tossed with a pasta... tomatoes are seeded.

Hope it helps..