to all chefs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by reginathorpe, Mar 16, 2011.

1. reginathorpe

reginathorpe

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    i have just become manager level servsafe certified what does that mean to a beginner on the road to a degree in culinary arts in the work force

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Depends where you are.

Here in Kentucky there must be at least one manager-level during each work shift in a restaurant and some other food-service locales. In theory, that person is responsible for assuring complience with all sanitary and health rules.

Most often, somebody in a managerial position is certified, because he or she has to have the authority to enforce the regs. Everyone else has to have the basic food-handlers card.

3. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Some places want ServSafe as a prerequisite to hiring, even at a cook level. So, it'll be helpful in that event. One piece of advice, keep up with your continuing education so you don't have to sit through through a day-long re-certification.

4. reginathorpe

reginathorpe

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    thank you for your response, then in theory every shift requirement based on the managerial level of servsafe is a requirement for a full inspection to be certified and points will not be lost because of  lack of this vital employee. Will this status become required for all due to the outbreaks that occur often in this industry. What do you suggest would be the next requirement for advancement once this level has been achieved?

5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hm, perhaps you are trying to equate food safety certification and culinary skills?

I'm not convinced one has much to do with the other with respect to the fact that a certified food safety manager may have absolutely no culinary skills and a culinary master may not be a certified food safety manager (though I would expect a culinary master to have a high degree of food safety knowledge).

Do you have to be a certified food safety manager to cook? No, but it sure can help land a job in many cases..

Do you have to be a good cook to be a certified food safety manager? No, but it sure can help land a job in many cases.

Which level good cook or certified food safety manager?

At the present time, I'm not aware of a ServSafe, NRFSP, or other certification beyond certified food safety manager, BTA, WTHDIK

6. reginathorpe

reginathorpe

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    thanks so much you've been very helpful hope to chat with you from time to time as my career develops

thanks in advance

regina

7. airsidelimo

airsidelimo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    congratulations reginathorpe

8. reginathorpe

reginathorpe

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    thank you its just the beginning but i believe every experience and literature and this site will aid me in my search for help and incite into the world of culinary arts