Tiramisu recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by pastaguy3, Sep 15, 2013.

1. pastaguy3

pastaguy3

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Does anyone know an outstanding tiramisu recipe?

2. jayfreeman

jayfreeman

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is the recipe I use all the time, let me know if you try and and if you like it

~ Jay

Servings:  4 people

Ingredients
    •   90 ml  Amaretto liqueur
    • 300 ml Espresso coffee (cold)
    •   45 grams caster sugar
    • 250 ml double cream (whipped)
    •     2 eggs (separated)
    • 250 grams mascarpone cheese
    •   30 Savoiardi Biscuits
    •        cocoa powder (to dust)

1. Pour the coffee into a large bowl, mix in 3 tablespoons of Amaretto liqueur and set aside.
    2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in another large bowl for about 5 minutes until thick and pale. 
    3. Add the mascarpone cheese and beat thoroughly to mix. 
    4. Use a metal spoon to gently fold in the whipped cream.
    5. Beat the egg whites in a third large bowl until soft peaks form. 
    6. Fold them quickly, but gently into the cream mixture, add the remaining liqueur, trying not to lose the volume.
    7. Dip each biscuit into the coffee for just 2 seconds and no longer, otherwise the biscuits will go soggy. 
    8. Drain and use to cover the bottom of 4 dessert glasses. 
    9. Spoon some of the cream mixture over the biscuits, and then repeat the process. 
    10. Smooth the surface with a knife, cover with cling film and chill for about 2 hours to allow the flavours to combine.
    11. Just before serving, dust with cocoa powder.
    12.  Do not dust earlier than this or the cocoa will turn the tiramisu  bitter.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hi Jay, I made tiramisu this weekend. Too bad I didn't look at your recipe more carefully. Now I see you add whipped cream too. Seems like a good idea to get more volume with the same amount of mascarpone.
    I used 250 gram mascarpone with... 4 eggs, separated in egg whites to beat and yolks with 1 large tbsp. per yolk. The trick of beating the egg yolks with the sugar for a long time can't be emphasized enough. Indeed, you need a thick egg yolk/sugar mixture. Next time, I will add cream too.
    The strangest thing happened; my biscuits came floating on top!

4. jayfreeman

jayfreeman

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Bet it still tasted great though

5. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'll be happy to give you mine through PM. I'm not about to take the standard/regular beating from all the "authenticity experts" we have here.

LOL @ Me. I guess that shows that I'm getting older every minute.

6. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ice, why don't you call your concoction Tiramicemansu and post us your recipe, please.

7. jayfreeman

jayfreeman

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'd love to take a look too if you don't mind

8. verytasty

verytasty

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As for me, I prefer classic tiramisu variant. It's delicious. 

P.S. Sorry, I don't know some outstanding recipe of it.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

9. j20832

j20832

Exp:
    Other
    This is my go to recipe with a few mods (I know, it is like heresy, but it works for me).  Anyway, I use half marscapone and half regular cream cheese and then I sub marsala for the rum.  Since I have small children and elderly parents, this works better for me as the egg yolks in this recipe are cooked and the marsala is much more subtle than the rum.  This is how I do it, authentic or not.  Sometimes for the kids, I will also sub vanilla wafers for the lady fingers, just trying to keep the costs down.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tiramisu-ii/

This reminds me, my wife used to like going to one of those chain Italian restaurants so I would occasionally oblige her.  The last time we went (a few years ago) they were selling what was basically a deconstructed tiramisu, now that doesn't make any sense at all.  It was basically a few landy fingers (rock hard of course), with separate piles/blobs of zabaglione, whipped cream, and a shot of espresso. I left quietly and we have never returned. I really wanted to yell at someone about this atrocity.  Nothing like a disaster in creativity.

10. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
  11. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK. I should know better than to do this. I'll probably be sorry later. Since two(2) of you asked, I'll give up my recipe. Here it is:

Both soft and crunchy ladyfingers +/- 2:1 soft/crunchy
    ~ Crunchy for the bottom layer, soft for the rest.

2 parts marscapone, 1 part very dry ricotta cheese, 1 part whipped cream, 1/2 part powdered sugar
    a few drops almond or hazelnut extract
    1 pkg Knox gelatin in 2 tblspns water all nice and bloomed
    ~ All of it goes into a stand mixer and blitzed until nice and creamy.

3 parts heavy-duty coffee, 1 part Kahlua, 1 part Amaretto
    ~ Mix.

~ Assemble. Spackle outside with whipped cream. Refrigerate. Dust top w/ cocoa powder at serving.

I have a really good basting bulb ($2.29) that puts the coffee on nice and even. I pipe the cheese over the fingers using a zippy-bag with the corner cut off. I like to have a very thin layer of cheese over the top of the fingers which I then spackle over with the whipped cream. I like to refrigerate for at least 6-hours before serving, however I've made them and immediately served them with no real problems.

12. j20832

j20832

Exp:
    Other
    I will try this, I am particularly interested as there are no uncooked eggs to worry about.  Need a little clarification, is it "1 part whipping cream" or a 1-part volume of already whipped cream that goes in the mixer?

13. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I make tiramisu' in a completely invented and totally heretical way of my own, which is both fluffy and lighter, with no raw eggs. 

Basically i make italian meringue (egg whites beaten stiff, with soft ball temperature sugar syrup beaten in) - fold into mascarpone,

NO liqueur (takes away from the flavor for me)

ladyfingers soaked in espresso and either a generous layer of cocoa powder or grated 70% chocolate on top

Italian meringue is one of the most useful ingredients for anything practically!

14. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's a funny thing on my part here that recipes like this are a "batch" kinda thing. It's not so much exactly measured. Also, to tell you the truth, I use "Cool Whip". For me, it holds up longer than fresh, it takes more abuse. It's 1 tub of marscapone off the shelf, 1 medium-small tub ricotta from the deli and +/- 1/3 a tub Cool-Whip; the other 2/3 used for spackling over the outside and top. I use 1 scoop of a nice little coffee cup for the sugar. We ain'te talking rocket surgery here. For all the times I've made this, nobody ever commented anything about any missing eggs.

As it is too ... with a few little adjustments, the cheese blend base works for cannolis.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  15. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ice,

I have a lot of recipes both "authentic" and derivative for many different dishes.  If I am presenting a recipe that really flies in the face of authenticity I usually just comment on that fact.  That usually keeps those "authenticity experts" at bay and let's the readers know that while it may not be an "authentic" recipe it still tastes good and has a place in the world.

16. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good enough point Pete. In general, I have difficulty with much of the vocabulary of our profession. "Authentic" is for me one of the most problematic words. This causes problems with me most often when dealing with Italian dishes. For the many bohemian ways I make all kinds of "authentic" dishes, I sure do get a lot of work from old-world people of different nationalities. LOL @ Me I guess.

17. helga

helga

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Although  tiramisu is a layered dessert and one of its layer consists of mascarpone cheese, I usually skip it. I prefer to  use cream cheese instead of mascarpone. I can not say how this recipe is outstanding (because of its lack of mascarpone), but I would venture to share it. It's not my own of caurse. Here is it http://cookiteasy.net/recipe/tiramisu-1000562.html

Also, instead of the traditional coffee I'm using cocoa. As well I don't use eggs.

18. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I make a banana cream pie without bananas and without cream, and i make the crust with bread dough.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  19. j20832

j20832

Exp:
    Other
    Ha ha, that is funny. Thank you for making my day.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

20. helga

helga

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   Sometimes it's about me!!!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif