Tiramisu Mishap

Joined Jun 11, 2018
TLDR: what would you do to speed up the process of the custard having to set up? Or is there a short cut/ substitute? What would you do if you were only given 2 hours to make tiramisu?
So it's worth mentioning that I'm notoriously bad at baking& pastry. It's been my "Achilles Heel" since culinary school.
We got an order for tiramisu at a banquet today. Now I've never made tiramisu from scratch before, but I was pretty excited after I did the Lady fingers from scratch ahead of time. I was thinking "this is going to turn out awesome!".
The night before, one of my strongest employees quit out of the blue, I ended up having to cover his shift instead of prepping. I made the mistake of not looking over the recipe ahead of time, so I didn't know the Custard was supposed to be chilled and set up for at least 4 hours (according to the recipe on food Network's website.)
I came in today, and started on it immediately, but I cut it close and only had an hour to make the custard and put it all together. I was mortified when I got the the part of the recipe that said "chill for 4 hours."
I ended up making a s*** ton of whipped cream and folding it into the custard to make it lighter and spreadable. It turned out alright, but not great. Obviously I won't let that happen again, but I'm curious how everyone else would've handled that if they were forced into a similar situation.

Joined Feb 18, 2007
without knowing the recipe, I might have added a little gelatin to help set things. Or depending on the number of servings, even tried to serve it over ladyfingers in an individual cup rather than in a larger pan that needed to be portioned. But tiramisu is usually just egg yolk, sugar and mascarpone, some coffee and maybe some brandy which wouldn't make the filling that fluid where you couldn't spread it. You learned a good lesson (we've all been there at some point).

Joined Jun 11, 2018
jcakes jcakes chrislehrer chrislehrer I did consider doing individual glasses or cups, but we didn't have time to retrieve them from our storage area before service. The gelatin trick is definitely great to know. I'm going to keep that trick up my sleeve in case anything like this happens again :p

Joined Mar 4, 2015
As far as setting custard, the more surface area you can give it to cool down the better. Something like plastic wrapping a few sheet pans and spreading out the custard, into the walk-in or on a rack in the freezer to cool it. Gelatin to me would just be too firm for that type of dessert (depending of course on how much was used)

Top Bottom