tiramisu and other stuff.

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bigbaker, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bigbaker

bigbaker

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I graduated from high school about a year ago and I went to vocational school for my junior and senior year and i learned quite a bit. When making tiramisu at my school it looked really nice and fancy. Every recipe i see on line is kind of sloppy looking and they are made using lady fingers. When making it at school we used a nice thin sponge cake that my chef made up. Why is everything i see on line so different? i am pretty sure he made a fancy one that was meant to look like a cake and have a different texture.

Also i was dabbling around looking up different things and one thing that I came across was a nice whipped chocolate mousse and the person in the video added some espresso, why? Is it customary to do so because i have never. And if your adding the espresso to any kind of dish how would you make it?

2. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    For tiramisu, traditionally, in Italy, it's a "spoon desert" (desert al cucchiao) meaning it's not like a cake but more like a pudding.  They usually use ladyfingers dipped in espresso, then a layer of mascarpone, sugar and egg, then a layer either of cocoa powder or grated semisweet chocolate. 

Coffee is often used with chocolate to enhance the chocolate flavor.  You don;t have to, you can use vanilla or just chocolate. 

Make espresso in a little "moka" which is the name for the coffee maker that has the little guy pointing up on it  - look at it here: 

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=jF8LT4udM8TNhAe5waS9BA&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAQ

but you can make a strong regular coffee too.  or use - dare i say it - instant.

3. bigbaker

bigbaker

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    But if you are cheap(as i am) how can i make espresso without any type of machinery?

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Buy instant espresso /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

5. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    No reason you can't use other coffee instead of espresso, just make it strong, little water, more coffee, or use espresso roast coffee in a regular coffee pot with less water, though you'll have to go buy the espresso coffee /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  

Or just use vanilla which is also a good enhancement for chocolate. 

Or don't use anything.