tips

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by old man sam, Jan 24, 2011.

1. old man sam

old man sam

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    do  you think that chefs are entitled to a percentage of the tips as we seem to be doing about 300 hundred covers a day, what do you think ,or should we accept the the answer chefs get payed more money but our disagreement is we put in 14 hour shifts ,we do agree we get more pay than others but at the end of the day as we are always told its a team effort so why leave half the team out when splitting the tips are there any other chefs out there who would agree. 

2. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The Chef should negotiate his wage and get incentives on food ad labor cost control. The wait staff is making money for the Restaurant by giving good service. The Chef should be making money for the Restaurant by providing good food and cost controls. If your good at what you do, then get paid what your worth............ChefBillyB

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What the BOH staff is "entitled to" is dependent upon the specific labor laws governing your location. In California, no one but the server who receives a tip is "entitled" to the tip and management is legally forbidden to have anything to do with tip distribution, only the server receiving the tip is allowed to decide what happens to the tip.

What the BOH staff actually gets is dependent upon the agreement negotiates with the owner/manager.

4. old man sam

old man sam

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    so do you not think, that chefs are part of the service, if there's no food there's no service

5. old man sam

old man sam

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    fair point how was service tonight in California

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That has nothing to do with labor law.

In theory, you are correct, but since when do laws make sense? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif A conscientious owner/manager will see to it that BOH is adequately compensated, otherwise, they will go out of business.

You asked what you are "entitled to", not what you should be earning. Two VERY different questions!

Chef Billy B answered the second, I attempted to answer the first.

7. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What part of the service is the Chef providing, he is hired to do the cooking.................The service starts on the other side of the front line...............From what I hear the service was fine in California tonight, it was slow, Sunday night football..............................ChefBillyB

8. old man sam

old man sam

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    so technical specking when the chefs cook and prep er the meal for the paying guest and the customer is over the moon with the quality of the food are the chefs not technical providing a service from hot plat to table via a waiter who is on an hourly rate of pay after all.,

9. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If the Chef is providing "over the moon food quality" what does that have to do with the service at the table. The Chef was hired to do a job, it's up to the Chef to sing a good song to the owner, not take tips for the wait staff. The "over the moon food" is paid for by the customer, the Chef is doing nothing but what he told the owner or the Restaurant he would do............................ChefBillyB

10. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Philosophically, you are probably not wrong. Practically, it really doesn't matter as no matter how correct you may be philosophically, it will have little or no impact on your pay.

Occasionally, a customer will make an effort to "tip the cook" or kitchen staff, but in my experience those types are few and far between.

Is your job essential? Well, as long as you're not talking "fast food", or some form of chain/franchise operation, it probably is. Are YOU essential to the job, probably not, unless your name is Bobby, Mario, Emeril, Thomas, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.... OR you own the place /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

11. old man sam

old man sam

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    have you moved to the dark side and become a waiter,

12. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nope! Currently  running my personal chef business, that way there are no FOH persons between me and the customer /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif$$$

13. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This discussion needs to be moved to a different forum. I'll do so now.

Mezz

14. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Nope,

Chefs negotiate a salary and bonuses before stepping in the kitchen. 

Cooks don't get tips, and if they demanded them, the waiters would riot.

About 10 years ago I hired a cook and the first night he whined at me about tips.  I told him right there to make up his mind, if he wanted tips he could take off his apron and go into the dining room, and if he wanted to cook, then shut up and get cooking.

Yeah, yeah, it ain't fair, the waiter is getting tipped on a percentage of the whole dining experience, but he isn't responsible for the whole dining experience--everyone in the building is.

Don't like it?  Start convincing the person who matters the most--the customer. For some reason every N. American customer is trained to tip the waiter and then dab his lips on a napkin and tell the waiter to pass a verbal compliment to the cook.  It's just socially acceptble, it's what always is done in TV and movies, so it must be right, right?

15. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I alway negociated a salary, expected hours, benefits and a % of what I saved you.

16. trooper

trooper

Exp:
    Private Chef
    There needs to be a clear line between FOH and BOH. No exceptions.

FOH can debate a shared tip pool or individual earn; Bussers & Bartenders, etc.... Not the kitchen's domain.

17. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    BOH gets paid to be ready for customers if and when they show up.

FOH gets paid to take care of the customers after they arrive.

trooper likes this.
  18. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    In nearly 30 years, I have never worked anywhere that the boh had anything to do with recieving tips. Now there were servers that might buy you a couple of beers after work, but that was about it.

19. shavy

shavy

Exp:
    Private Chef
    What on earth?!  Why the heck should the cooks/chefs get a percentage of the server's tip?!  Seems greedy as hell to me.  Cooks get paid a LOT more than waitstaff does - the tips make up for the below-minimum-wages the employer is allowed to pay them.  The tips are also earned FOR GOOD SERVICE.  Plenty of people tip well even if they didn't like the food - so long as the service was good.  Likewise, plenty of people DON'T tip for poor service, even when the food was impeccable.  You're complaining about a 14 hour shift?  If you're the average line cook you get PAID BY THE HOUR - that means that you are getting MORE money the more you work.  That doesn't make your job 'more difficult' and therefore you need 'extra compensation'.  If you didn't want to work long hours in a hot kitchen and high-pressure environment, for an hourly wage or salary, you should've picked a different arena in which to exercise your cooking skills.  The fact that you contributed to that person's meal, and that it may have been a PITA to do so, doesn't entitle you to take earned money away from your serving staff.

20. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That is not necessarily factual, it really depends, at least in the USA, in which state you work. IIRC, California REQUIRES minimum wage, which is higher than Federal minimum wage, and does allow an offset based on an average tip calculation. Current California minimum, I think (haven't employed anyone in a lloonngg time) is $8.00/hour or maybe slightly more, after all, it IS a new year /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

Generalizations are almost ALWAYS wrong, find out ALL the facts before arriving at, or jumping to, a conclusion.