Tipping private chef

Joined Oct 22, 2020
Hello, I’m not a chef but I’m looking for opinions on what an appropriate tip for a chef for a private event would be.
I currently have a private cooking lesson and dinner for my wife and I scheduled for our anniversary. It will be held at a location where they typically have group cooking classes.
The current cost breakdown is $300 for the chef and space rental and approximately $60 for food.
I would love to have some opinions of appropriate tip amounts.
Thanks in advance

Joined Feb 8, 2009
What I was wondering was, is this his/her business or are they working for a set amount from someone else. Like the owner gets $200, Chef gets a $100. If thats the case then a tip would be ok. If he/she is getting all of the $300 that includes the rental then they s/b ok....In either case, if you feel they did a real good job an extra $50 would be well appreciated. What time should I be there......

Joined Oct 22, 2020
What I was wondering was, is this his/her business or are they working for a set amount from someone else. Like the owner gets $200, Chef gets a $100. If thats the case then a tip would be ok. If he/she is getting all of the $300 that includes the rental then they s/b ok....In either case, if you feel they did a real good job an extra $50 would be well appreciated. What time should I be there......
Ok, thank you. $50 is where I was leaning but just wasn’t quite sure. The chef does not own the kitchen so I believe as you described a $200/$100 split is probably a realistic assumption.

Top Bottom