Time to read???

Joined Mar 2, 2002
I don't have too much extra time, but I have read some pretty good books this summer (having a biz in a college town, I get most of my extra time during the summer, which officially ended today - dorms opened!). I've been reading some interesting books by Lee Smith and Sharon McCrumb. They write fiction, but the stories are always set in Appalachia - many of the places they write about being real. I'm fascinated with this, and I'm wondering if anyone else is familiar with these books!

This isn't totally unrelated to food, either....

My boyfriend, whose has people from Mitchell County, NC, has a copy of an unpublished book someone in his family wrote once. I wish I had it with me right now, so I could communicate some of what is in it. It has a lot of stuff about herbs and medicine that were used way back, but also a lot about what they did with food - as far as preserving it ("putting up"), etc.

I'll get back to anyone interested about what is in the unpublished book, but I'm putting it out there now to see if there is anyone interested in Appalchian culture. (?)

RF

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Rita, It sounds as tho you have a real gem, there! And a great bit of history! I love the Appalachias, Smokey Mts. in particular. Spent time there going hunting for 'sang' (ginseng - a real moneymaker for the poverty stricken area!), and was fortunate enough to be invited to talk with a Cherokee medicine woman/midwife about the old customs.

All of this knowledge is dying out, and if you have something on paper, you have a treasure! Why don't you see if you can get it published? I would maybe try the Foxfire people first.

Joined Mar 2, 2002
We are considering trying to get it published. I don't know much about that. It seems a bit short to be a whole book, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the Foxfire tip. I still don't have it with me, but I'm going to get hold of it tomorrow. I'll post some of the herbal/food stuff if you are interested.
RF

Top Bottom