time to by myself a scale for my b-day

Joined Jun 9, 2001
i think i deserve a scale for my b-day. i was curious if there is a brand that ya all like to use? i hear that you can buy them cheaper at offfice supplie stores... the kind they use for mail, ect.

i would love an digital one.

thanks for the help

Joined Aug 14, 2000
I just bought a Salter Aquatronic. I love it. It has an 11lb capacity, in 1/4 oz increments. You can zero it after addiing each ingredient. It has a fluid mode which saves my tiny mind from having to remember that 20 oz of water is really 1lb 4oz. It has a low profile and can be stored standing up. One man's opinion.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

Joined May 26, 2001
I think the one I used to use when I did pastry was the same one Kyle mentioned, the Salter Aquatronic. It's battery-powered, both English and metric measures (that is, #/oz and grams for dry, and fl oz and liters for wet -- although I never trust ANY scale to "measure" fl oz). Great little machine, and depending on where you get it, can cost as little as maybe $30. For that low price, order it from Bridge Kitchenware here in NYC (they probably have a website; surely you can find info on them from ads in the better professional food mags). Anyway, it's easy to clean, with a very small footprint, and works VERY VERY well. Just don't drop a meat pounder on the lcd screen, as I did.

Joined Feb 23, 2001
how well do you want to treat yourself?

my favorite scale is a digital one by TEC model # SL-PW1 about $200 available at commercial scale type places-it has a 6x8 platform and a continual tare feature- it has a 6 lb. capacity and goes as low as .005 lb- but the best part is, you can measure in either oz, grams, or lb. weights- you can really get some precise measurements in grams and then get their eequivalents in oz or lb. wts. depending on what you use.

Joined Jun 9, 2001
ohhhhhhhhhh

breadster......i like that one

any one ever thought of buying one at an office supply store?

Joined Apr 24, 2001
Happy Birthday Isaac.

Glad you started this thread as the scale we've been using at work is on the blink. Glad also that Breadster was able to include the model number of her/his favorite. At $200 I think I'll buy it for work.

I've got a Soehnle Cyber on my counter based on the review in Cook's Illustrated over a year ago. My criteria were that it had to be digital, have at least 5.5 Kilo/11 lb. capacity and that it measured in increments smaller than 5 grams. I found it for under $100 (retails normally at $130) on the web at a web site for diabetics. It's sleek looking and very pretty on the counter, that is after I wipe off the flour and other stuff that drip on it. It works very well. But what I don't like about it is that I always feel as if I have to be extra gentle with it because it's got a glass platform rather than the no-nonsense metal of scales I've used at work. I should be gentle with such an important and sensitive piece of equipment anyway. Also don't like that it is not as simple as pushing a button to switch between metrics and English weight system.

As for weighing liquids, the sooner we begin to measure everything by weights, the better. I still basically measure out liquids with a glass measure. When I have the time, I'll have to make up a volume to weights chart.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Monpetitchoux,

I have the Soehnle, with a smaller capacity though, being a maximum of 2 lbs., with all the other features you mentioned. However, I do have the "flick a switch" feature to go from imperial to metric and the platform is plastic instead of glass. I think mine has been discontinued since.

:p

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Jun 28, 2001
I wish I had put thought into buying a scale before I went ahead and actually bought one. I have an Edlund, 16 pound capacity, measures in 1/4 oz. incremements. $350 which I supposedly got a "deal" on since the guy who owned the restaurant supply store turned out to go to the same temple as me. (Small world). Actually, I asked around, and that same scale is supposed to be about $400-ish (?) and the 8 pound capacity one from $300-350. Eh, whatever. I bought it 3 years ago. Anyhow, I bought it b/c that's the one I had been using at work and liked the best. We had large industrial digital scales and the Edlund. But now I kind of wish I had a digital one just so I could go back and forth from ounces to grams. Back then, I didn't even know they made those and that they could have been affordable. Just didn't think. I just needed a scale and figured if I was going to spend money on one, may as well make it NSF approved and all that just in case I went into business for myself one day and blah blah blah. I'm happy with my scale though. It's accurate and I know I'll have it forever and pass it down to my kids when I retire. :D

Joined Jun 9, 2001
i was curious.... what kind of options are there for scales?

so far, i want a scale that is a tear button and di would like one that can go from pound to oz, to kg. i dont really care how it looks, as long as it WORKS. i would like to have something that can weight good that are more then 9 pounds. also needs to be digital too. money is somewhat of a factor. i cant go beyond 150 bucks on this one.

any suggestions?

Joined May 11, 2001
I now wish I had bought the same scale as KyleW although I still think the Salter Digital Scale I bought is very pretty. I thought the two were exactly the same except for looks. Same precision, tare function, kg/lbs. The biggest difference is the fluid measures. Oh well, my brain could always use some exercise.

Joined Jan 15, 2001
At work I do use a baker's balance scale for the larger amounts and an Edlund 2#'r like (Monpetitechoux mentioned) for the smaller ounce amounts. I think in a couple of weeks I may be getting an Aquatronic after I finish searching the web for the best price.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
When I did an inquiry for the SALTER AQUATRONIC at GOOGLE.COM, the lowest price that I found was around $29 from a mailorder firm in Texas. Good luck. :D

Joined Jun 9, 2001
you think buying a scale would be easy..... jeeeez

anyone ever buy one at an office supply store??

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Issac - I'm curious about the office supply thing. You've mentioned it a few times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom