Time guide for cooking meats/fish?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by jason06, Aug 22, 2016.

1. jason06

jason06

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hey all, I am just wondering if anyone has any guideline advice for cooking time + temps for cooking meats and fish.

From my experience (Asian background):

8-10 mins of steaming for each inch of fish filet

8 mins of pan frying over medium to medium high heat for each inch of fish filet

2-3 mins each side for searing meat at medium high to high heat

10-12 mins per inch of pork chop in oven at 375 F

Most veggies can be blanched for approx 20-30 seconds before being tossed in a wok, still remains slightly crisp but cooked through.

Anyone have any other advice cooking time lines? I never cooked chicken thighs in the oven or duck breast, so any would be appreciated! In addition, if I am not using the optimal timings/temps, please point them out!

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dude, no. There is no substitute for feel and experience when cooking. You can't develop a chart of foolproof times and temps because every oven is different, every animal is different, etc. 

And judging by your examples above you are grossly overcooking things. a 2 inch thick piece of fish won't need 20 minutes of steaming. 

majk, flipflopgirl and nate like this.
  3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well said....plus...you can't cook by time especially meats. Cook by temperature and they will come out the same each time

flipflopgirl likes this.
  4. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef