Time for a change

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by leeniek, Jan 16, 2018.

1. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks! I just hope I can keep it up. This course this semester is alot more challenging but i feel like i will do well in it as well..

drirene likes this.
  2. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Way to go! You can do it, you got this.

3. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks!

4. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So we had the mid term exam last week for the second course and handing it in I knew wasn't going to get a mark above 75% as I felt like I had not properly answered a few of the questions and I thought for sure that I was going to get 0/12 on one of them as I wasn't confident in my answers at all.

Was I ever wrong on that.

I had the highest mark in the class on the exam.. 91%. I was completely shocked when I turned my exam booklet over and I looked at the grade. The question I thought for sure I had 0 on.... I got 12/12.

So now I have set the bar for myself with this teacher so I have to work even harder for the last half of the class to keep my grades up.

drirene and phaedrus like this.
  5. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    You're doing real well :)
    Hope you are still enjoying the course!

6. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I went back in my late 30's and while there was some adjusting I learned that I'm a lot harder worker than most of the youngsters that I had classes with. It sometimes takes some living to reach that point.

7. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, Butzy... I am still really enjoying the course. The program does have a strong focus on industrial quality assurance but the principles are still the same and can be applied in any industry. My professor has taught in the program for over thirty years and during that time he has taught people in the food industry, pharmaceutical industry, automotive industry etc so he is accustomed to a broad range of backgrounds in his class and he does try and make it relevant to all of us in our respective businesses.

8. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with you on that. I had some youngsters in my class last semester who complained to the high hills about the professor I have this semester and I like him. He expects us to show up for class, participate in class, do the homework and write the exams and I find that completely reasonable. We are paying to be educated and he is there to educate us.

9. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was shocked how many of the youngsters sat on their phones or laptops with Facebook open during all the lectures! One kid in one of my classes failed nearly everything even though the tests were all open notes and we were basically told what would be on the tests. Probably was he only showed up every couple of weeks! Hard to imagine paying for a class then never attending! Grown ups that have been in the workforce a while understand things that kids sometimes don't.

10. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I felt the same way and for me I made sure my phone was set to do not disturb during class and I checked it on break. We had two people who didn't take the class seriously and texted and chatted while the teacher was talking and that annoyed me to no end. In that class our exams were open book as well and we were also told what was going to be on the exams and I am sure they struggled with it. I had another one in class who needs to get at least an 80% in order to have her employer pay for her course and did not take the course I am taking now based on the reputation of the professor. I decided to bite the bullet and take the course and I am doing really well in it (and trust me I have earned my marks so far) and I am enjoying it as well. I really like the professor and I appreciate that he takes into consideration the different businesses all of us are in when he is teaching us and he constantly asks us for input based on our respective businesses.

drirene and phaedrus like this.