Time for a change

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by leeniek, Jan 16, 2018.

1. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm posting this here instead of the professional chef's forum... I hope that's ok as it is kind of work related but also I think off topic at the same time.

I left the restaurant world almost seven years ago and I've been working in a production kitchen and I really like it alot and I plan to retire from the company. I've learned and grown alot over the years and now I'm looking to make a change but still stay with the company.

I had a conversation with my manager and I'm really happy I did as it's opened up a new opportunity for me. The company I work for offers a tuition reimbursement program if the courses taken are at an approved institution, approved by management and senior management, and are related to career development or enhancement. I'm taking advantage of that program and I've enrolled at the local college part time for certification in quality assurance.

Our quality assurance department is very small and we need to add a member to that department who has a sound working knowledge of the day to day operations and documentation on the floor and my name came up as the one that they want to put in that position. I know how the company works and it's going to take some time for the changes to happen but it's really nice to know that my work and attention to detail has been noticed and appreciated.

I haven't been in school for almost 30 years so this is going to be an eye opener for me. I have taken training classes for work now and then over the years and gone to workshops but this is the first time that I will be graded again on my work. I've always been very critical of my work and an over-achiever and I know that hasn't changed.

I am the nerd who reads the textbook before she starts the course (and I did) and I have notebooks and pens ready... I just need to get a knapsack... I'll be taking a whole day's worth of food with me on Mondays as well as my school books. I'm not about to pay for fast food when I can eat a healthy meal I've already paid for and made.

I know once some people at work hear about my plans they will be all catty and trash talk about it it but I am not doing anything that they themselves don't have an equal chance to access. The education program is open to all employees and I just made it known that I wanted to access it and make a change so as I age into retirement I can still work for the company.

Wish me luck....

2. don rich

don rich

Exp:
    Beginner garde manger
    Maybe bone up on computer skills.

drirene and leeniek like this.
  3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I would agree if you are not up on the latest PC/Mac skills you need to be this will be a big help. Sounds like you are making the right move and I would look forward and be excited. As for co-workers talking about you what does that have to do with you? Nothing so don't feed that it only drains you of focus on the end goal. Besides you might be surprised some of your co-workers might be happy for you. School is not such a big deal you will have the advantage that you will want to succeed and will most certainly do well. Keep us posted on your progress.

drirene, leeniek and fatcook like this.
  4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If I remember correctly you always worry twice as much as you should only to realize you'll do great. Knowing you as long as I have I know you'll do well. You give 110% effort to everything you do. Get that Knapsack full of carrot sticks, pull up those bobby socks and you'll be fine. If you ask someone in class to grab your knapsack they may look at you weird. It's not a Satchel or a knapsack. Somewhere along the line they combined them and now call them a backpack that offer all the above. Just remember how proud you were for your kids. I know they are proud of their Mom for venturing into this new endeavor.......Good luck.......Bill

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would, but you don't need it! You already have everything you need to succeed. Goodatcha, how exciting!

6. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    good luck. you should do well as you want this. QA is an interesting field and offers good challanges. the teachers want you to pass, so ask for help if you need it. just remember, to be all cool kid like all the others, you backpack/knapsack must weigh at least 40 pounds.

drirene and leeniek like this.
  7. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm planning on doing that. The college offers computer skills upgrading and it's included with tuition so I'm going to take advantage of that

drirene likes this.
  8. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks Nicko. Everyone I've told about it at work has been happy for me and the ones who grumble.. well that's their problem. My manager has been really positive and very supportive of my choice... honestly I think he's more excited than I am

9. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, Bill. I remember when my daughter did her paralegal/law clerk diplomas there were people of all ages in her classes and we have a cousin who is in his sixties and working on his phd so you're never too old to learn something new.

10. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks!

11. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've always been interested in QA and the science behind the practice. My first course is about measurement, the science behind it and how it applies to the quality practitioner.

12. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Not only do I wish you luck, I fully support your decision and wish you the best!

drirene likes this.
  13. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, Kuan.

Everyone I've told about it at work has been really happy and supportive of my decision. Honestly I think they are more excited about it than I am!

14. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sounds like a great opportunity. Best of luck to you!!!

15. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thought I'd update..
    It's been a bumpy start with school and that has nothing to do with me. The instructor wanted to take this semester off from teaching so he could update the course content and he communicated that to the college in August of last year. Unfortunately we had a strike here in Ontario with the community colleges in the fall so that information somehow got lost and to them he was still teaching the class. We all went to our first class, and the instructor stayed home because he thought he was off this semester. We all got in touch with the college after he was a no show and they got ahold of him and he agreed to take the class since we had all signed up and paid for it and he's going to update it as we go along and he is going to make it relevant to all areas of quality not just the manufacturing side so it's good for him to have someone in food production in the class. (me)
    Last week he gave us an overview of measurement and how it is used in quality control and for this week he gave us an assignment in lieu of class. (he booked a vacation thinking he didn't have a class to teach so this assignment will count towards our attendance for the week) I have it done in rough and is it super nerdy of me that I am excited to do the good copy tomorrow as well as start my own study guide?
    We agreed to go one week later to make up for the missed first class instead of going a half hour later every week until the time was made up. We all have jobs to go to the next morning and agreed that one more week of classes was better than being tired and miserable every Tuesday morning.
    I have been finding the material interesting and while alot of it doesn't apply to me in the food industry it's still good to have the knowledge and I can draw on it when a machine breaks down etc..

16. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Leeniek,
    You are doing a good thing. I found it was not easy to go back to school in my sixties. It is however doable.
    My biggest problem was regurgitating the course content back to the instructors without trying to correct errors in the content. I was the oldest kid in my class including the university staff. I found I got along very well with the other kids as long as I kept my old fashioned ideas to myself. The comment the most was, "you remind me of my grandfather."

I am sure you are doing the right thing and can accomplish your task. I was excited that finally in my mid sixties when taking a survey I could check the collage graduate box.

Good luck,
    JiMyra

Speaking of nerdish, I carried a briefcase.

17. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, JiMyra and good for you on going back in your sixties. You're never to old to learn something new. We have a cousin who is working on his phd and he is in his sixties as well.

I'm not the oldest person in the class... the instructor is older than me... but out of the students I suspect I am and I'm fine with it. With night school the students are all in different stages of their careers so a diverse age range isn't uncommon. My boss went to night school for culinary when he was in his thirties and he expected to be the oldest kid in the class and there were guys in their fifites in class with him.

A briefcase isn't that nerdy... especially when the weather is bad.. your notebooks etc will definitely stay dry!

18. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Last night was the mid term exam and I was completely surprised when I got my results... I got 100% on the exam! All of the studying and self testing I did over the last week definitely paid off.

Now to do just as well in the last part of the course...

drirene and kuan like this.
  19. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Update... I finished that course with an overall mark of 93% and I am loving the next course in the program

drirene likes this.
  20. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Well done!
    That's an incredible score. You can be proud of yourself :)