Tiger Sauce?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
As I too have been going through my PC recipe archive, in my jambalaya recipes I've seen a few mentions of Tiger Sauce, and used fairly heavily in those recipes.

I found it in my grocer yesterday and was wondering opinions of any who have tried it.

Ingredient list looks to be a cross between hot sauce, worcestershire and tamarind.

Opinions?

Phil

Joined May 29, 2006
I use it at home all the time like I do catsup. have never used it in cooking so to speak, but I like the flavor on pork chops. To bad it only comes in small bottles.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Amazon shows a 10 oz bottle. I can see it being a pleasant condiment.

Joined Nov 23, 2009
It is a staple in my pantry. We use it on pulled pork bbq, and marinate shrimp with it before grilling.

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Is it more like a sweet soy or more like HP Sauce (english bottled condiment, if anyone's familiar with it).

Haven't seen it here

Joined Nov 23, 2009
It is not like HP sauce. It has a vinegar component, some sweetness, and some heat. I use it in place of the vinegar based bbq sauces you commonly see with pulled pork bbq recipes.

Joined Jan 14, 2007
It's one of the favorite condiments with my crews. I keep a bottle with my spices, find, like Old Bay and a good fish sauce, sometimes when there is something missing, it does the job.
Nan

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I didn't know you could buy that sauce pre-made! My favorite Thai restaurant has a dish they call "Crying Tiger", which is a sliced rib-eye steak with the Tiger dipping sauce and a cucumber/carrot salad. I think once I tried to replicate the sauce using rice vinegar, soy sauce and various chili flakes. I LOOOOOVE that sauce. Goes wonderfully with steak.

Joined Nov 6, 2004
Oh don't you even say that! I would have picked that one up too, but I didn't want too many new things at once. I'd rather concentrate on the flavors of one for now.

Pickapeppa, you had ta say it didn't ya :mad:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Pounded out some pork chops and seasoned them adobo and tiger sauce. Then grilled on cast iron grills. Came out pretty tasty. Something to keep around I think.

Phil

Joined Oct 9, 2009
Ah, quite possibly my favorite bottled sauce! Somewhere there's a site by a guy who tries to replicate it online, too tedious, but might interest some. Just google it.

You can also buy it by the gallon from the company, interesting that they now seem to sell it in larger bottles too! It goes great on anything that can use a bit of sweet/sour/spice, which is just about anything :)

I'm not sure it's the same thing as that Thai tiger sauce from the restaurant mentioned above, would be interesting if the poster could compare.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I'm wondering too - I would have to purchase a bottle if I can find it somewhere. The sauce from that Thai restaurant is really liquid, like soy sauce - is that bottled sauce kinda thick?

Joined Oct 9, 2009
thicker than tabasco, but not as thick as a bbq sauce or ketchup. Somewhat translucent too. A bit like sweet hot sauce from the Asian market.

I think this is the site where I read mock recipes years ago:
Tiger Sauce Clone Page

And you can order by the gallon, at least you could in the past. tigersauce.com does not show up today though.

Of course it also has a face book page, ROFL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom