Three Quarter Boiled Eggs

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Last 2 places I worked we were using apx 2 cases, or about 250
eggs per day. Far as I knew they came in moderately fresh.
So 7 to 10 days old? Not possible.
Unless you were buying directly from the farmer, it is entirely possible.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Both Kenji Lopez-Alt and Hervé This have shown that the vinegar thing doesn't have a significant effect unless you cook the eggs a very long time.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
I've got a question about pressure cooking eggs. How do you get the pressure up and then off fast enough? I mean, if it takes 30 seconds minimum to get full pressure and another 30 to depressurize, that's a minute of cooking already. Eggs cook so fast at those temperatures that I don't see how you can be at all precise with them. What am I missing?
The build up time does not count towards to cooking, it is pressure cooking magic (in other words, I am sure there is a scientific explanation, but I don't know what it is). The release time helps control the done-ness of the eggs. You can let it do natural release for a set time and then quick release, or just quick release.

For example for soft boiled eggs in our cooker, we set it for 5 minutes at high pressure, quick release the pressure, then into an ice bath and that's it. If we add 5 minutes natural release, the eggs are more of a creamy hard boiled.

Your cooker, elevation, egg size, and whether they are cold or room temp can affect the time. Once you have a time and method that you like though, it will be consistent every time.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
I remember as a kid soaking a raw egg in vinegar so it would go into a bottle without breaking.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Last 2 places I worked we were using apx 2 cases, or about 250
eggs per day. Far as I knew they came in moderately fresh.
So 7 to 10 days old? Not possible.
They may not be a week old from the time you receive them in the kitchen but they could be because of shipping, receiving, storage, ect. I think this also goes to the point that a lot of times what we consider 'fresh' is not really what our expectations from unless you have the good fortune to work with a lot of local sources for your product.

Top Bottom