Thoughtful commiseration

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by Grooked, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Grooked

Grooked

Exp:
    Hello to all my underpaid, overworked brothers and sisters who stand on concrete floors and develop carpal tunnel and knife callouses while either barking orders or being barked at! To those who make the dishes that make the wait staff $500 a night but never get a tip out! To those who work hurt or in pain because the owner doesn't offer benefits! To those who work at night and rarely see their loved ones and never get paid vacations! Salute!
    I look forward to commiseration and thoughtful discussion!

Awesome Chef likes this.
  2. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Welcome to CT Grooked!

The wait staff tip thing hit home more than the other issues. It gave me a reflective chuckle, indeed! They just can't resist walking into the kitchen flashing some hundreds because of "How good I was at serving your food!"... Too funny, NOW... (A lot less funny when it was happening)

Again, Welcome!

Grooked likes this.
  3. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The hours might be long? The conditions brutal? But at least we don't get paid very much!
    Welcome to Chef Talk.

Grooked likes this.
  4. Grooked

Grooked

Exp:
    Sadly, I'm still in the kitchen serving those meals while the wait staff flaunts their tips. If only I wasn't such a bitter, angry, people hater. I'd be the one out there serving some other underpaid jackasses dishes and making at least 3 times the money!

5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well it was hard work when I was in the business but it was always more exciting that sitting in front of a computer. As for the tipping thing the rest of the world doesn't tip why are we still tipping?

Grooked likes this.
  6. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Y’know, Nicko, asking that question is like lifting up a heavy rock in a garden that hasn’t been moved in decades—pretty shocking to see what’s underneath react to all the sunlight and attention.

It’s a good question to ask, and a fair one too, but no one will answer that one.....

7. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Things never said in Culinary school. But always make sure you call everyone Chef.

8. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @foodpump I was just in Europe a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed how there is no tipping expected. If you "really" liked your service you simply round up (53.00 check becomes 60.00 etc).

9. Grooked

Grooked

Exp:
    Sadly as long as people will tip there will be tipping. I only wish the scales would tip a bit more toward the back of the house .

10. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here in Sweden the tips, such as they are, are split evenly between the front and back of the house, usually on a monthly basis. It’s divided according to your working hours so everyone gets a fair split. The busy months can add up to a pretty good amout that is all bonus pocket money. Best part is there’s no animosity between front/back of the house over tips.

Niftynorm likes this.