This winter I'm going to try making ice cream outside

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Yep. I think it can work. I'm going to set my kitchenaid outside when it's 0 degrees outside and see if I can churn ice cream that way. :D What do you think? Will it work or is the baby driving me nuts? Er, even more nuts? ;)

Joined Nov 21, 2001
dear kuan,
i think you need to get out a little more. :) and not to baby and me classes ;)
kat

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Yep! But I caution you when doing food items in the great outdoors. When I lived in Alaska I made a large batch of truffles. About 24 dozen or so of all types of flavors. I set them on trays outside to solidify not realizing that Mt. St. Augustine had erupted. When I went back outside all my beautiful truffles were covered in 2" of volcanic ash! :cry: Yes they were covered with wrap, but if you have ever felt volcanic ash you know that was pretty much worthless!
So good luck, have fun :p

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Hmmm... might be TOO cold, Kuan, give it a shot and see what happens! You might want to try covering the whole machine with a plastic tarp. You are sure not to get volcanic ash on it but goose poop is a definite possibility. :eek:

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
OK maybe 20 out? Think the Kitchenaid can't take the cold shroom? Maybe in the garage, no goose poop or volcanic ash to worry about.

You know I might not do it anyway, it was just a thought that popped into my head.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Volcanic ash is very very abrasive. So you could have use those ashen truffles to clean your teeth!

Joined Aug 15, 2004
When I was a kid, the next door neighbor used to make Snow Cream. Actually captured a big tub full of fresh snow, add vanilla and sugar and cream.

I had forgot about that until I saw the post about the volcanic ash. He had to stop making the Snow Cream because of pollution. I remember asking the last time he made it what all those black pieces were!

doc

Joined Mar 4, 2000
It almost goes without saying to keep it covered. It 'll keep the pollution out, as well as any hungry wolves. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom