This winter I'm going to try making ice cream outside

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Oct 23, 2004.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yep. I think it can work. I'm going to set my kitchenaid outside when it's 0 degrees outside and see if I can churn ice cream that way. :D What do you think? Will it work or is the baby driving me nuts? Er, even more nuts? ;)

2. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    dear kuan,
    i think you need to get out a little more. :) and not to baby and me classes ;)
    kat

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    poor kitchenaide :(

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yep! But I caution you when doing food items in the great outdoors. When I lived in Alaska I made a large batch of truffles. About 24 dozen or so of all types of flavors. I set them on trays outside to solidify not realizing that Mt. St. Augustine had erupted. When I went back outside all my beautiful truffles were covered in 2" of volcanic ash! :cry: Yes they were covered with wrap, but if you have ever felt volcanic ash you know that was pretty much worthless!
    So good luck, have fun :p

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hmmm... might be TOO cold, Kuan, give it a shot and see what happens! You might want to try covering the whole machine with a plastic tarp. You are sure not to get volcanic ash on it but goose poop is a definite possibility. :eek:

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    OK maybe 20 out? Think the Kitchenaid can't take the cold shroom? Maybe in the garage, no goose poop or volcanic ash to worry about.

You know I might not do it anyway, it was just a thought that popped into my head.

7. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I may be in the minority here, but I think it's worth a try. :)

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Volcanic ash is very very abrasive. So you could have use those ashen truffles to clean your teeth!

9. deltadoc

deltadoc

When I was a kid, the next door neighbor used to make Snow Cream. Actually captured a big tub full of fresh snow, add vanilla and sugar and cream.

I had forgot about that until I saw the post about the volcanic ash. He had to stop making the Snow Cream because of pollution. I remember asking the last time he made it what all those black pieces were!

doc

10. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It almost goes without saying to keep it covered. It 'll keep the pollution out, as well as any hungry wolves. ;)