This is so sad......

Joined May 29, 1999
Her heart was as big as they come. Let's try to carry her spirit forward with the joy of having known her.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I found this out just this second. I'm very saddened to have read this news.

Rest in peace Julia, and thank you.

Joined Dec 4, 2001
Julia Child was my hero in more ways than one. It was she, more than any other who inspired me to cook.

For those who are pondering a career change later in life, consider this - Julia Child was 50 when she firs broadcast "The French Chef" on TV in 1963.

In a couple of days, Julia would have turned 92. She was born in San Diego, CA where she died peacfully in her sleep last night. A perfect end to a very full life. Her spirit will live forever in the millions like us whose lives she has influenced in such a profound way.

Rest In Peace Julia.

Jock

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Well I don't know if I was "stunned" after all she was 91 so she was no spring chicken :) (I'm sure she would have made a humerous reply to that one!)
I am however saddened by her passing but happy for her for the life she had. We should all be so lucky to be so happy and passionate about anything.
She will be missed. Congratulations Julia, goodbye, and thanks for everything!
:cry:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
A loss to the culinary world, a gain for the 2nd amendment.

Phil

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I just pulled out her book "The way to cook" which she autographed for me back in 1991 when she hosted a dinner for the opening of the Connecticut chapter of the American institute of wine and food.

Why not tonight don't we all make a Julia dish ( Coq au Vin for me) and raise a glass of wine and toast our friend.

Joined Oct 28, 1999
I had the pleasure to meet her a few years back... to this day, a picture of she and I still finds its home in my knife kit. She certainly set the tone for what many of us do today.
I take solace in knowing that she lived the way she cooked - rich, flavorful, refined and exciting.

Joined Apr 28, 2003
I just heard through 1 of the couriers that came in. Looked it up on The Toronto Star but its still hard to believe. Thats the passing of 2 major culinary icons in the past month, Jeff Smith passed away on the 12 of July. Next generations of chefs won't know Smith or Childs like we all did, so sad.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Julia was part of the National Committee of the group Handgun Control , Inc., now the Brady Campaign.

Phil

Joined Aug 14, 2000
I just assumed she would always be here :(

I don't mean to distract, but I would rather not put an American Icon in the same sentence/thought with a pedophile.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
She really knew how to live! I read a biography, "Appetite for Life" and realized even more what a genuine human being she was. She gave me the courage to expand my knowledge of food beyond my mom's kitchen and out to the world beyond.

May she rest in peace.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
She was a consummate teacher, she took "mistakes" and fixed them.....demystifying cooking, making it fun, creating interest in products that were not commonly used as well as using basic ingrediants in uncommon ways.
Thanks for the lessons on how to teach! My fifteen, 14 year old culinarians will learn from you next Monday....
Bon Appetit!
CC great idea....her butterflied Greek Grilled lamb will be on my menu....with homemade pitas of course.

Joined Aug 9, 2004
This is so sad. I remember watching Juila as a child. My mom was an avid cook when I was younger. She was killed when I was 10 so I turned to watching cooking on tv. How sad a culinary icon is gone. I'm just glad she lived a full life.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Wow.

Didn't know she had a history degree
Didn't know she was OSS (precursor to CIA)
Didn't know husband worked in Paris and so she went to Le Cordon Bleu. I knew she went, I just didn't know it was because her husbad was part of the embassy staff.

Phil

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I just found out on the news :( I'm stunned. I too thought she would be around forever. She died in her sleep. Ah, we take too much for granted. Bon Apetit Julia! Rest well.

Joined Oct 23, 2003
wow- i had no idea. Not to diminish this or demean her but we're all not perfect.
danny

Top Bottom