this is gonna sound weird but...

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Sharpen your knife and make okra tempura - it doesn't have a hope in (you know where) of getting slimy.  Blunts knife bruises ir more than a sharp knife.

What was the original question....? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

Oh that's right, liver

Joined May 24, 2009
I just moved back to canada after 4 years in Louisiana. While there I enrolled in a cajun cooking class and now can make decent gumbos, red beans and rice, shrimp etouffe and stuff like that...I also have been experimenting with making my own rubs for blackening fish and chicken as well as for grilling ribs. My quandry is this...I love liver. I have cooked it the same way for years- soak in milk...dust with flour..etc etc...boring. I'd really like to try to give it a good rub and let it marinade for 4 or 6 hours and then grill it. I'm kinda leaning towards some combination with the spices that includes; sage, white pepper, bit of salt, maybe just a touch of ground bay leaf and a pinch of cayenne...toying with the idea of adding mustard but think that this would have to be a starting point for a totally different rub...any comments/ ideas out there? I'm not really used to working with liver in this way.
Thanks Y'all
Nice choice of seasonings!  I'd recommend rather than doing a dry rub, adding the above to a bit of oil or clarified butter.  Include the dijon mustard, its a good idea and an emulsifier.  If it were me I'd also chop up the liver and skewer it first, dab it a bit with paper towels, apply the oil generously and grill away.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
chipotle would make sense too.....
Chef Billy, that's the way I like my liver.....loads of onion, ketchup is dip o' choice....it's a childhood thing.

Smothered okra still does it for me.
nueske lardons
onion
garlic
chipotle
little thyme
okra
tomatoes
yum....

Joined Mar 2, 2010
Nice choice of seasonings!  I'd recommend rather than doing a dry rub, adding the above to a bit of oil or clarified butter.  Include the dijon mustard, its a good idea and an emulsifier.  If it were me I'd also chop up the liver and skewer it first, dab it a bit with paper towels, apply the oil generously and grill away.
Wow! That's cool. I'd have never thought of skewering it...now I hafta wait for the next time my girls go away so I can give it a shot. Thanks.

Top Bottom