This is Driving Me Crazy!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by granny smith, Apr 2, 2011.

1. granny smith

granny smith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Can somebody please tell me what it's called when you mix equal parts butter and flour to be added near the end of the cooking time to thicken a sauce? I want to know the name of the mixture. I've used it for 30 years or more, but never knew what it was called.  I need to know what it's called so I can type up a recipe that uses it. I tried searching it, but I keep getting 'roux' and I know that's not right.

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Perhaps beurre manié, equal parts softened butter and flour kneaded together used to thicken sauces, from "Food Lover's Companion", 3rd Edition, Sharon Tyler Herbst, page 53.

3. granny smith

granny smith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes! That's it! Thank you so much!

4. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG]    roux   | roō |  noun  (pl. same)  

: a cooked mixture of flour and fat (esp. butter)  used as a thickening agent in a soup or a sauce.

ORIGIN from  French (beurre) roux ‘browned (butter).

Why is it not a "roux"?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  5. dontcallmechef

dontcallmechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i do believe its because a roux is melted fat a burre manie is just softened butter and flour kneeded together.but dont quote me on it just an assumption

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Quote Iceman; a cooked mixture of flour and fat (esp. butter)  used as a thickening agent in a soup or a sauce.  

The mixture GrannySmith refers to isn't cooked. It's raw ingredients 50/50 butter/flour called indeed beurre manié. Works fantastic for binding a lot of sauce in one go.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A Roux is a Cooked blend of fat and flour  . Where the word brown comes in the definition I don't know.. There are 3 kinds of classic roux  White, Blonde, Brown  each obtained buy cooking to a different point. Flour can be precooked to different stages or colors in oven before adding to fat.   A  Mannie Butter is never cooked till after it is added to the sauce or dish. At least thats the way it used to be done. Today  who knows??