Thinking about enrolling in culinary school.

Joined Jan 28, 2018
I am thinking about enrolling in culinary school next year.I am 18 years old and I have been cooking for fun for the last 2 years.The only thing that I don't like is that I read a bunch of articles about ho chefs works extremely wrong hours ,they cant easily have a social or personal life etc.Is the industry actually like that or could I hope to be a chef and still have a balanced life outside the kitchen?
Thank you.

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Welcome to Cheftalk. If working long hours, weekends, holidays, and very demanding tasks bothers you this may not be the profession for you. Did I mention for low pay. Many chefs however love the job and have a very successful balanced life outside the kitchen. There are jobs that are fewer hours. Many of the chains have limited hours. I would suggest getting a part time job in a commercial kitchen and get an inside look. Good luck, with any profession the more education you have the better off you will be.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
My suggestion would be to get a full time job in a restaurant for 2-3 years before deciding whether to attend culinary school. 2-3 years is just a blip when you consider that you will probably work 40 years or better in your lifetime. After 2-3 years you should have a better idea if you could see yourself in the same profession 40 years down the road. If the answer is yes, then enroll in culinary school and you will have a good head start over a lot of your classmates and be in better position to garner the most out of your education. Not only that, but when you graduate, you will already have a few of years of practical working experience in the industry which is of huge importance to potential employers when considering recently graduated prospects.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 28, 2014
There are options beyond working in restaurants. You could become a personal chef. You could work for a catering company. You could do what I did and become a Culinary Arts instructor though if you go this route, most state certification programs will require you to at least have a Bachelor's degree.

I've been a chef instructor of a high school Culinary Arts program for the past 12 years. Most evenings are my own. I get weekends off. With our school year in Nevada drawing to a close in just 2 more weeks, I'll be on a paid summer break for two months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom