Chef Forum banner

Thinking about applying at two upscale restaraunts

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  retiredbaker 
#1 ·
Just looking for advice on how to get hired. I have done restaurant work before. I would love to be able to be competent enough to keep my job at one of these upscale places.

I will post links to the menus.

I am a struggling anthropology student who wonders about studying Caribbean things. Religion folklore music politics econo.ics and literature. I also dream of cooking upscale things and international things. I own hakka chinese, Austrian, Czechoslovakia, persian, iraqi,west african, schizuan, greek, trinidadian, haitian, jamaican, guyanese, somalian,colombian, etc cookbooks. I obsess over thousand dollar Spanish ham legs, would people buy that in a restaurant. I dream of French fries and rhubarb raspberry pies cooked with duck fat etc. I'm an upscale gourmand but live below the poverty level.

How should I approach this. One day wanna learn to cook Austrian pastries too.

#5 ·
This industry has enough burned out, disgruntled, disenfranchised forty somethings who are too old to start a new career and too young to retire. The average career in the food service business lasts 18 months. Being passionate about food is only a start. Its a good start. But, its not enough.

Stay in school. Finish your degree. Who knows? Maybe you will find a way to combine your Anthropology education with cooking and come up with some new paleo type bistro and be the next billionaire celebrity chef. But more importantly, if you decide when you are 39 that you've had enough of the food service business, you can at least get another job.

Good luck. :)

#6 ·
This industry has enough burned out, disgruntled, disenfranchised forty somethings who are too old to start a new career and too young to retire. The average career in the food service business lasts 18 months. Being passionate about food is only a start. Its a good start. But, its not enough.

Stay in school. Finish your degree. Who knows? Maybe you will find a way to combine your Anthropology education with cooking and come up with some new paleo type bistro and be the next billionaire celebrity chef. But more importantly, if you decide when you are 39 that you've had enough of the food service business, you can at least get another job.

Good luck. :)
While I don't know if Rick Bayless has an Anthropology degree, he certainly fits the bill for what you are describing. His passion goes well beyond Mexican food to the entire culture and history of Mexico and it shows in his restaurants, his cookbooks and his TV show.

#7 ·
I'm not sure of how long you have worked in the restaurant business or if you have taken any culinary classes? I have been in the culinary field for 30 years and my advice is be prepared to start at the bottom and working your way up.Its great that you have a passion for cooking but in the long term the cons mostly out weight the pros. If you have a strong resume and good interview skills its key to getting noticed! Check out wwwemployflorida.com it have good tips and guides for resume/interviews tips,ect. Good luck:emoji_blush: i had some jobs i would forget about payday. Its a rollercoaster so enjoy the ride

#8 ·
The restaurants menus you posted reflect years of training and knowledge. sauces especially, (ie: Marchand de Vin with Hollandaise).
If you did manage to get a job at one of those places, realize that you wouldn't reach that level of cuisine overnight.
If you truly are eager and willing I'd say knock on the back door and ask to speak to Chef.
You never know unless you try.
Besides Rick Bayless, there are countless other men and women who have no culinary background, and now run very successful and expensive restaurants.
Knowledge and passion are not enough,

#9 ·
How should I approach this. One day wanna learn to cook Austrian pastries too.
This was Chef Terry's approach
Terry White Owner/Executive Chef of Sage Restaurant in Tallahassee, Florida, discovered his passion for cooking as just a young boy, while sitting on his Grandmother's kitchen counter. As a teenager Terry worked at a handful of local restaurants and began learning his way around the kitchen. While developing his culinary foundation, his thirst for knowledge and love for cooking continued to grow.

After high school, Terry graciously accepted a kitchen position at Roy's Restaurant in Denver, Colorado. Through dedication, hard work and many long hours, he quickly moved up from his line cook position to Executive Sous Chef. After a successful run at Roy's, he took a position at Clair de Lune, another well respected restaurant in Denver, serving French-Mediterranean cuisine. At Clair de Lune, Terry continued to learn, refine and grow as a chef until he decided he was ready to move back home.

Back in Tallahassee, Terry became Executive Chef of Mozaik Restaurant, and then two years later Executive Chef of Mon Pere et Moi Cafe. When the owners of Mon Pere decided to sell their restaurant, Terry purchased their business and reopened it as Sage.

#10 · (Edited)
I'm sorry if my answer is a bit late, but I'd like to make the suggestion to highlight your previous restaurant experience in your application and emphasize your enthusiasm for learning new skills and techniques in the kitchen. Additionally, be sure to research the restaurants and their menus thoroughly to demonstrate your knowledge and interest in their cuisine. In addition, I highly recommend checking out riwa-restaurant.de. It's one of the best restaurants in Austria and would be a fantastic opportunity for you to apply your skills and acquire a unique fine dining experience. Their menu is sure to inspire your passion for upscale cuisine, and their commitment to quality would provide an excellent environment for you to grow as a cook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.