Things you're supposed to like, but hate.

Joined Mar 9, 2000
A calling to all you culinarians out there. What is or are food or drink items that come with a fairly hefty price tag or are supposed to be the creme de la creme that you just don't like or can't stand?

I'll start, all the white truffle oil I've had has reminded me of drizzling B.O. on food. I love black truffles and can't say I've eaten the white, but have had the white infused in oil and I just can't get used to it on or in anything. I've tried it drizzled on pizza, in mashed potatoes, in egg dishes, ect... It's just not doing it for me.

Joined Apr 24, 2001
Oh Baby, white truffle oil does it for me in a really BIG way. Sorry you don't enjoy the funk.

For me, it would be sea urchin. It tastes like sea garbage to me. Strange, because I love oysters and I have gained notoriety at work by grossing out the Mexican workers by eating the brains and roe they are cleaning out of the lobsters (they're throwing away the best part!).

Joined Jul 2, 2001
for me it's oysters. I tried them every way possible and still no go. Maybe the first was bad and my stomach and brain remember. Who knows. I don't even like shucking the things.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Bad experience one time with enoki mushrooms. I can't even look at 'em!

Also scallops-they taste like lumps of fat!

Anything with white pepper on it, I'll pass.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I'll ditto the white pepper comment! I only like black or red.

Although it's not expensive, I don't get calimari, I like more flavor in my rubber bands.

I can't do cavier at all. The crunch turns me OFF!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Momoreg, What about oysters? :)

I'll have to second sea urchin, I rather eat raw eggs
:lips: :eek:
cc

Joined Mar 9, 2000
When I was given sea urchin from the Japanese chef I worked for to run a special with I was kind of lost, looked at the texture, thought about it after having a taste and came up with a paste to be used in sauces. If you hate it and have to use some, this may work for you!

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Uni Paste (Sea Urchin)

Recipe By : John Paul Khoury, CCC
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Appareil-Basic Preperations

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sea urchin (uni)
1 tablespoon shallots -- minced
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup white wine -- dry
kosher salt -- to taste
white pepper -- to taste
lemon juice -- to taste
1 teaspoon parsley -- minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Saute' sea urchin, shallots, & garlic in vegetable oil. Flambe' with
brandy, add white wine and reduce to a paste. Put in blender with
herbs, puree'. Reserve for further use in sauces.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Uni (Sea Urchin) Remoulade

Recipe By : John Paul Khoury, CCC
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Cold Sauces & Vinaigrettes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon tobiko (flying fish roe)
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon uni paste -- See Recipe
1 teaspoon shallot -- minced
1 tablespoon capers -- chopped
1 tablespoon cornichons -- chopped
kosher salt -- to taste
cayenne -- to taste
lemon juice -- to taste
1 tablespoon chervil or parsley -- minced
clam broth -- to thin

Mix all ingrediants together, season and thin to desired consistancy
with clam broth. Excellent with grilled assertive seafood such as Ahi,
swordfish,shrimp,ect...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Joined May 26, 2001
Gee, so far you've all named things I :lips: love! Well, maybe not the tinned foie gras. But in a slightly lower class, I cannot, just cannot stand tequila. I think that's what gasoline must taste like. Making it into a Margarita seems a waste of good lime juice. :(

Joined May 6, 2001
I can't eat seafood. I know it's soooo good for you with all of that Omega 3 , but I can't eat it. I've never liked it but I keep trying every once in a while to see if my tastes have changed-I want to like it-really I do.;)

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Morbidly afraid of anything liver....know that is just a food prejudice [can I mention completely different forum's here?] but I can't even bring myself to try fois gras.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
I always had the same fear of foie gras, but I finally tried it last month, and the only reason I tried it was because Capechef had made it. I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually quite good!!

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Me too for the urchin. I'll try anything twice though...

Ok, this is going to sound really weird, but I can't eat fresh mango. To me, it has a kerosene smell/aftertaste. I don't mind some mango salsas, sorbets, etc. It has to be prepared.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I’m with Quenelle on the coffee. I can not even set foot in a coffee store. The smell is enough to make me sick.

Oysters? No thanks. It's one of the few sea creature I will not touch.

Liver, brain and anything like it I will not eat.

I refuse to eat animals I have known when they were alive.

I will not eat horse because I've known too many personally.

Brussels sprout and cooked carrot are out of the question.

And this is only a beginning….

Joined Mar 12, 2001
I've never had sea urchin, but a chef freind had some on pasta recently and said it was way too strong... it was cooked by a sicillian woman ( and great chef), but apparently the urchins that you get in Italy are much milder than the ones in Australia.
Don't like oysters, liver, sweetbreads, blood(sausage, pudding etc), chicken feet or gizzards... but i have eaten all of them in the name of my own education.
I used to think that I wouldn't like foie gras, but I had some the other day on a canape with lentil cream and caramelised onion, and it was Delicious!
I want to find my next unexpected delight. :bounce:

Joined Jul 24, 2001
I have to have myself checked!! :eek:

Everything that is mentioned her is my favourite!! Especially urchins... I mean I go to a place in Athenes that I have to pay them in gold to have them!

You won't believe it but what makes me really sick is huge white wedding cakes, filled with plastic sugar and decorated like Las Vegas.
I mean I never EVER put those things in my mouth :p

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
That's a relief, I'll stop trying Anneke.

I hate olives too and lemon pie.

Top Bottom