Things to do to prepare soil for first planting..a question.

Joined Feb 6, 2002
New to gardening but definately know I must first prepare my soil before planting. What kind of gardening tools will I need? Should I take a trip to my local Home Depot first???

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
It really depends how big is your garden. If it's in container an old fork and spoon will do the work. If it's bigger, it might be whise to get a few basic tools.

Joined Dec 6, 2001
I live in NC and one corner of my yard can have totally dif soil properties than another corner, so I always start with a soil test. Most nurseries will do them for you. I use a kit and do my own and then take the results to a trusted nursery who advises me on what soil conditioners to add. Usually its a bag or 2 of permatill (I have dense claylike soil and it needs to be lightened up) some manure, fertilizer and compost or bark chips. Sand makes a good mix in too.

Our Home Depot rents equipment, and just last weekend I rented a small rototiller and chewed up a good space for another perennial garden. It was only $18/4hrs and well worth it for the effort it saved me. I chewed up the space down at least 10-12inches then I tilled in bags of manure, 10-10-10, compost and permatill.

I dont go in for alot of expenive garden tools altho they are hard to resist. I have 2 shovels and 2 good rakes(one of which is only 6"wide and great for reaching between plants) and I just use old spoons and cups from my kitchen for other uses.

Top Bottom