Things that make you go AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by thetincook, Jun 2, 2012.

1. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Came into work today, and the thermostat in the line's reach in is wonky. 2 cubes of shell eggs frozen solid.

2. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My walk-in is acting up like that. 4 lbs of basil and 2 cases of asparagus in the trash today.

3. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Aaaaaarrrrgh!

My line freezer has the tendency to ... well one of the doors, if you don't make sure it's completely shut *everyfreakingtime* you close it will stay just a hair ajar...thawing everything inside.  Which means fried ice cream balls that look literally like milk and corn flakes, shrimp skewers that I can't rationally ever serve again and habanero-cheddar cheese sticks that have to be remade...which involves waiting for the bloody cheese to come in from the purveyor, as it's a special order...God, I'm screaming right now just thinking about it.

4. cookers

cookers

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Management still won't buy me an ice-cream machine! =( lol

5. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
     Hmm, you might be able to solve that with releveling.

Or it could be a door seal.

6. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    When the dishwasher comes to and says,

"Eh!! Cheffe!!  Come!!!Come quick!!!   Is raining in the dry-store room!!!

OR

Driving the family car you haven't been in for a week and the wife says:

"Oh that little little red "Oil" light?  Don't bother with it, it's been doing that for almost a week now, and the car works just fine...."

I loved that car....

7. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Today, I had to stop the prep guy from storing the chocolate next to the ice machine's exhaust. I'm really glad I caught that arrrrrrgh moment before it happened.

8. hautesaute

hautesaute

Exp:
    Line Cook
    saying "sorry, chef" for something i didn't do, because i'm not throwing anyone under the bus. argh.

accidentalchef and dylan nichols like this.
  9. peloton

peloton

Exp:
    Line Cook
    The one table that comes in at 9:59, one minute before close....

Realizing that the one prep item you forgot to do is what you need the most in the middle of a busy dinner service and have to make it on the fly....

Modifications on tickets that don't make sense...

10. ari9

ari9

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    1. Line cooks that don't prep their lines completely.

2. Staff that complains about the time that customers comes in.

I've never undertood that one... and I wish I could.  Would it make it better to close the restaurant at 8:55? If closing time is 9:00 than the kitchen should be working till 9:00.

Ari

11. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    People who call off their shift five minutes before it starts as if it's any better than a no show.

Dave

iworktomuch likes this.
  12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Electric power   When we have a blckout or lightening strikes.  When its not adaquate and you turn on a machine and the lights dim.Or when the breaker box is not labeled correctly.

13. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    @Meez ...I dunno.  The unit is old, and whereas it may just be a seal issue, the owner isn't willing to cough up the twenty bucks to fix it.  It's mainly just me using the thing right now, so I just keep a vigilant eye on it....just pisses me off. :p

14. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Complaining in general from anyone/everyone. Cooks,FOH, Prep guys, etc..  If you don't like the quirks and BS that comes along with working in a kitchen, move on.

Cooks that don't get orders started on time, thereby hanging tickets that should be gone 5-6 minutes sooner.

phantomchef likes this.
  15. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cheers to that.

16. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    [​IMG]

17. cookers

cookers

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Sorry but I do not agree with this. If someone makes a mistake working with me, I call them out on it in front of everyone. If the head wants to yell about it, then it's his choice and it shouldn't have happened in the first place. It's a job and you can get fired at any time. Especially if they think you're the one making mistakes and you're just covering up for people. In your case, I would tell the head what happened and who did it, confront the person and show them a proper way of doing something so they can learn and make it easier for everyone to keep the kitchen going. If I make mistakes and I do all the time, I expect people to call me out on it. If people never showed me what to fix, I wouldn't be where I am. 

18. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What is gained by calling them out in front of everyone? Telling them quietly on the side while correcting the mistake and showing the proper way will accomplish the same end result while strengthening and building the teamwork aspect with coworkers. Three musketeers, "all for one, one for all". So why publicly call someone out; unless you are Gordon Ramsey and it helps boost your TV ratings. Then to hell with the donkeys *&%@*^!!!!

Same question about telling the head. I understand that the head needs to be aware and kept abreast of situations; but that is their job.

phantomchef likes this.
  19. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Praise in public, punish in private.

The surest way to destroy morale in a work group is to ridicule any individual in front of his/her peers!

chickensashimi and 808jono202 like this.
  20. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I agree, it is demeaning .  What is the point of embarrassing someone ? They will only resent you in the end, the very thing you don't want.

Petals.