Things that grind your gears on cooking television?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cronker, Aug 18, 2017.

1. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    as noted in title.
    Mine?
    I often see cooking presenters using a mandolin without using the guard - I've taken far to many young cooks to hospital to have fingertips sewn back on for this to make me cringe.

"chefs" cracking eggs on the side of a bowl. We all know that the correct method is to crack on a flat surface. This prevents any shell bits or contamination from the shell being introduced to the egg.

On cooking challenge shows, it's always down to the countdown- no one ever finishes their dish before time, and likewise they always just get the last garnish on before time is up.

Yours?

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You do realize that cooking shows are merely entertainment and do not adequately reflect our profession.

ldiatone and Iceman like this.
  3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Jeff Smith? (decades ago on PBS) had me so afraid to use a *real* spoon to dip or stir things in glass bowls that my first kitchen was full of plastic.
    It took years to get over the brainwash (still get the occasional flash of paranoia when I pick up a SS tool to mix a salad) .

mimi

Iceman likes this.
  4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My pet peeve is continuity. I hate when there is wonky editing... which is too often.

I also hate when stupid things are included, like dropping the pepper mill.

5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Baking...... We all know the wondrrfull creations, the elaborate decorating, etc.
    BUT.... Yeah, but, no one ever states the man hours going into the cake, how much one man hour costs, and how much the business has to sell that cake for in order to stay in business.

What that means is that Jie customer takes up my time getting a quote for a 69 Camero cake to serve 36, and wants a Costco carrot cake price.....

flipflopgirl likes this.
  6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I quit watching these overly produced reality shows long ago.

ldiatone likes this.
  7. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Here in Australia, our MasterChef program is really quite good (and, yes, I understand it's all just entertainment) but in the most recent series, the cooks were using Kobe beef, osetria caviar, black truffles, gold leaf and very expensive lobster- there was no discussion about cost. One of the cooks ruined about $600 worth of Kobe beef and nothing was said.
    I even emailed the production company to ask if they could at least highlight the high cost of the ingredients so that less knowledgeable viewers would know that some of these products would be out of their budget range.

8. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My wife is a lawyer and law professor...trust me, we get off pretty easy in the mass media department!

9. apprentichef

apprentichef

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm not allowed to watch food shows anymore because of all the yelling I do at the television.

Funny thing is I never yell when watching reruns of Jacques Pepin or Julia Child on PBS...

10. hookedcook

hookedcook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A guard on a mandolin??? I hope your joking

stormrider likes this.
  11. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Giada's HUGE pie hole drives me nuts.... giada1.jpg

flipflopgirl likes this.
  12. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gotta be better things to criticize than her appearance...kinda lame.

13. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Tongue planted firmly in cheek....lighten up Nancy.

14. stormrider

stormrider

Exp:
    Demi Chef
    There is such a huge gap between these tv shows and the real professional kitchen and this gap is called competition. For me, working in a kitchen is like playing rugby: what matters is the team.