Things that are not raisins for oatmeal cookies

Joined Jun 28, 2017
I'm a little tapped out on ideas and need help brainstorming... Does anyone have any ideas for dried fruit/spice combinations for oatmeal cookies? Ideally fruits that I wouldn't have to chop by hand and that are on the lower end of the price scale. Combos can be unexpected or traditional. All ideas welcome.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Dried Cherries and Almonds. With or without chocolate chips as you prefer (I like with).

Joined Feb 18, 2007
I love dates in oatmeal cookies (I am not a raisin fan but I will eat golden raisins); you can use apricots and chilli; or chopped figs (make your own version of Fig Newtons with an oatmeal cookie). Around here chocolate covered almonds are a big deal lately so maybe chopped almonds and choc chips

Joined Mar 21, 2008
fresh chopped apple is very very good. I use apple pie spice profile and they are awesome.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Every time I see this thread title, I can't help being reminded of a silly cartoon in which a kid notices huge amounts of "raisins" on the ground in a meadow, where there are also lots of cute, fluffy bunnies....

Joined Nov 2, 2018
If you want higher margins find healthier options.

People pay more for health foods = Wholefood.

I make my daughter:
Oatmeal Cookies:
Chia Seed
Flax Seed
Peanut Butter
Sweet Potato
(No DAIRY, No ADDED Sugar)
SUPER HIGH IN Protein and Nutrients.

Joined Jun 28, 2017
Thanks everyone! So many wonderful ideas. I'm going with dates with chili (I just picked up several types of turkish chilis at the spice shop last week, so perfect timing) and dried apricots with something as yet undecided.

chrislehrer chrislehrer - oh gross, but when I think about raisins I think oh gross anyway.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Apples. Its a gimme. My daughter doesn't like raisins, or small round stuff like peas. Pretty weird. She needs to get over it for lords sake, she's in grad school now.

Definitely apples. With cinnamon.

I mean if the basic idea is oatmeal raisin, what makes more sense than oatmeal apple.

Joined May 28, 2015
Thanks everyone! So many wonderful ideas. I'm going with dates with chili (I just picked up several types of turkish chilis at the spice shop last week, so perfect timing) and dried apricots with something as yet undecided.

chrislehrer chrislehrer - oh gross, but when I think about raisins I think oh gross anyway.

Would love to see some photos of your results if you can.

Joined May 28, 2015
I don't know if you can get mixed peel where you are (I'm in the UK). Like this:

LN_006761_BP_11.jpg

It would be lovely with some ginger.

Joined Jun 28, 2017
morning glory morning glory I did not forget your picture request.. I'm just terrible at taking photos and everything I took was not something I wanted to share. But! The management of the incubator kitchen where my business is based gave each of us a 45 min professional photography session as a New Year's gift, and the edited results are finally back. So, here is a photo of my cookies. The three final flavors for the oatmeal cookies I'm offering are Sea Salt & Rum, Masala Chai, and Orange Coconut. The Chai and the Orange Coconut are in the photos, along with a bunch of other flavors that aren't oatmeal and some blondies and jam bars. Thank you to everyone for help with flavor development!

- Addie

Addie (15.JPG

Joined May 28, 2015
morning glory morning glory I did not forget your picture request.. I'm just terrible at taking photos and everything I took was not something I wanted to share. But! The management of the incubator kitchen where my business is based gave each of us a 45 min professional photography session as a New Year's gift, and the edited results are finally back. So, here is a photo of my cookies. The three final flavors for the oatmeal cookies I'm offering are Sea Salt & Rum, Masala Chai, and Orange Coconut. The Chai and the Orange Coconut are in the photos, along with a bunch of other flavors that aren't oatmeal and some blondies and jam bars. Thank you to everyone for help with flavor development!

- Addie

View attachment 66210

Wow! I'm honoured to see the results. Beautiful!

The management of the incubator kitchen where my business is based gave each of us a 45 min professional photography session as a New Year's gift

That is a great gift. Do you feel more confident to take food photos now?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Craisins and Coconut - My niece's partner makes Scothies this way and they are really good.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
I'm a little tapped out on ideas and need help brainstorming... Does anyone have any ideas for dried fruit/spice combinations for oatmeal cookies? Ideally fruits that I wouldn't have to chop by hand and that are on the lower end of the price scale. Combos can be unexpected or traditional. All ideas welcome.
XD honestly? Anything fruit you can think of.

I've seen everything from cherries to Mango to apples and Jackfruit.

it really just depends on your taste.

Top Bottom