Things are good!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by leeniek, Feb 25, 2010.

1. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The new guy who started out with us as very quiet is coming out of his shell and really showing us his best side and I am so happy to see it.   I knew he had it in him but he needed to be comfortable with us before he started speaking up.  He is talking to us now and asking for direction and I am so happy!!   He is also the person who will replace the soon to be guy I used to work with as weekday opener and I know he can do it. 

The soon to be guy I used to work with has been his usual self.. the wakeup call will come when he gets back and finds out he no longer has full time hours but casual/part time if anything.  We cut this guy's shifts and he still hasn't cleaned up his act so well.. we have no choice but to swing the axe a little deeper.  

I'm excited and worried about this weekend.  I am off the hot line on fruits so I will have a nice two days but soon to be guy I used to work with is on eggs and well... it is not going to be pretty so I feel for the KM.  

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

3. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think my not being on the line this weekend is a good thing.  

I overdid it yesterday putting orders away... we had our big delivery before the weekend come  and it came late, so I was just starting to get that put away when dairy and produce showed up at the same time and yes silly me put all three orders away by myself.  I usually put the orders away so I can organize our very tiny walk in and know that FIFO is being followed etc so I didn't really think about it but it was not the smartest thing I could have done.  By the end of it I was in alot of pain and I was pretty much a write off by the end of the day when it came to cleaning up.  I couldn't even sweep properly I was that sore.  

Today I told the guys that I honestly couldn't do any lifting at all and while it helped a little, just bending to get things out of the low boy and moving the plates once they were full was really painful.  At one point the owner came into the kitchen to talk to me and I had said to him that it's a good thing I'm on fruits this weekend because I would be useless on the line.  I was struggling today and it was a slow day.  I felt like such a super slacker but the guys were good and understood why I was doing so little.  

4. pembroke

pembroke

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I hope you're feeling better, sounds like you need to borrow my storeman for a week/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  What city are you in? I spend a summer working for my Uncle in Sturgeon Falls, Ont when I was 16, it was great fun!

5. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks Pembroke.  I will be ok.. the weekend on fruits will be good.  It will be a break from the constant bending that is part of eggs and as for the lifting.. fruit plates are light so I will be good with that.  I will let the KM know tomorrow that I am not up to par for the line so he knows that he can't rely on me to pop onto the line and help them.

Yeah I need your storeman on Thursdays.. can we budget for his travel time beween our kitchens?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

I'm in Hamilton ON... I grew up here on the mountain then moved to TO for school.. got married and lived there for years and then relocated back here when housing in TO became insanely expensive.  My husband still works in TO but he takes the GO train as his studio is near the Exhibition station. (have you heard of the EX?  It's the Canadian National Exhibion and well what it is today is a far cry from what it started out as but is still a tradition) Oh and when I say the mountain Hamitlon is a two level city.. the mountain and down the mountain... we are parked on the Niagara Escarpment and I am pretty sure we are at the westernmost start of it.