Thickening already made BBQ sauce

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Hi :)

I found a BBQ sauce that I really like the flavor of. I would like to keep eating it, as it is the only sauce I have been able to find that has no chemicals, no sugar, and no modified food/corn starch.

Thing is, it is not thick enough. Can I add some arrowroot powder to it? Or something else? Do I need to heat it up first?

Thanks in advance.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I would reduce it with heat until it’s the consistency you want.

And if you don't want to cook it that much, heat up and use a cornstarch/arrowroot slurry... it will thicken just as it approaches a boil... and use right away. Don’t try storing and reheating.

But please... what kind of BBQ sauce has no sugar?

Joined Dec 19, 2014
I would reduce it with heat until it’s the consistency you want.

Hmmm - I think that I am going to loose too much there.

And if you don't want to cook it that much, heat up and use a cornstarch/arrowroot slurry... it will thicken just as it approaches a boil... and use right away. Don’t try storing and reheating.

K, thanks. Why no storing? Can't I do a batch, and refrigerate what I don't use, for later?

But please... what kind of BBQ sauce has no sugar?

This is the one:

https://bonesuckin.com/product/bone-suckin-sauce-16-oz

But you wanna know whats funny.... as I go to the website to get that link, I notice they have a "thicker style". That's not in my market; will have to order some. That might take care of the issue for me here.

Thanks for the help :)

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Starch-thicken sauces get weird when stored.

And, thanks, I never heard of a sugar-fee BBQ sauce. Just never thought about it but like the idea now that you mentioned it.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Not really. It will either get weirdly lumpy/thick or weirdly thin.

I’ve seen that sauce on the shelf. Molasses and honey. Yum. I googled and saw one that used Stevia.

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Molasses and honey. Yum.

Sorry, but were you being serious, or sarcastic? I really cant tell.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Why not make your own sauce? Its rather easy.

Here's a great recipe that I use all the time.

In a medium sauce pan add the following:

1 can beef consume
2 cans tomato paste (be sure to use a quality paste)
1-2 cups paprika (I like sweet Hungarian paprika)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1-2 tbsps Kosher salt
1-2 tsps fresh ground pepper
1/2 - 1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup honey or molasses (dealer's choice) - I prefer honey for pork and molasses for beef.
1 tsp minced garlic
3 - 5 Tbsps liquid smoke (optional)

** For a wing sauce, double (or more) the amount of apple cider vinegar. **

Combine all the ingredients with a wisk until smooth. Place over low heat and bring to a very gentle simmer. Let simmer for 20 to 35 minutes stirring often until it reaches the desired consistency and acidity.

Apply to the bbq meat in layers - brush on, let cook, add another layer of sauce, let cook, repeat.

Enjoy! :)

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Why not make your own sauce? Its rather easy.

Here's a great recipe that I use all the time.

In a medium sauce pan add the following:

1 can beef consume
2 cans tomato paste (be sure to use a quality paste)
1-2 cups paprika (I like sweet Hungarian paprika)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1-2 tbsps Kosher salt
1-2 tsps fresh ground pepper
1/2 - 1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup honey or molasses (dealer's choice) - I prefer honey for pork and molasses for beef.
1 tsp minced garlic
3 - 5 Tbsps liquid smoke (optional)

** For a wing sauce, double (or more) the amount of apple cider vinegar. **

Combine all the ingredients with a wisk until smooth. Place over low heat and bring to a very gentle simmer. Let simmer for 20 to 35 minutes stirring often until it reaches the desired consistency and acidity.

Apply to the bbq meat in layers - brush on, let cook, add another layer of sauce, let cook, repeat.

Enjoy! :)
Thanks for that. I have tried making my own, but it's too much a PITA. :/

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Oh. How do you do that? o_O
The problem with your question is, you're not giving us enough details so it's kinda tough to help out without knowing what kind of equipment you're using? Still I'm going to share a couple of tutorial videos with you, hopefully you'll find them helpful:

1. If you're going to do it on the stove top:

2. If you're going to do it in a microwave:

Top Bottom