Thickening Agents

Joined Dec 19, 2015
Greetings Chefs-

In our kitchen we primarily revert to using a roux as a the main thickening agent in most of our soups/sauces.  Will occasionally use corn starch for certain recipes, but I recently came across a soup recipe that called for tapioca starch so I got some of that.  While I know there are several other thickening agents out there such as arrowroot, I was wondering if you all could give me a list of thickeners with its pros/cons compared to costing or an idea of which recipes you prefer one over another, or even which ones may react differently upon reheating or such. 

Cheers

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Agar agar comes to mind. Chef Peter Marting did a two part series on thickeners that may be of some help to you:
[article="6805"]Making Sense Of Food Thickeners Part I  [/article][article="6807"]How To Make Roux Making Sense Of Food Thickeners Part Ii  [/article]
Two books I would recommend are: 
[product="6283"]On Food And Cooking The Science And Lore Of The Kitchen  [/product]
and
[product="6364"]Sauces Classical And Contemporary Sauce Making  [/product]

Last edited:
Joined Jan 23, 2016
been cooking in Japan for 14 years - they use potato starch called katakuriko. mix a teaspoon with water and add to boiling soups and various dishes. this one carries it's weight and has relatively no adverse impact on taste.

Top Bottom