These wines are for the birds!!!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Has anyone started to think about what wines they will serve this Thanksgiving?

For me it all about the sides and dressing that determan what direction I go.

Discuss.

any thought?

Joined Sep 21, 2001
My Thanksgiving crowd this year consists of my drinking buddy who only drinks Pinot Noirs or an occasional Cab, and the rest who drink anything white and sweet- $6.00/bottle Jos. Reisling is a biggie. I think my drinking buddy is showing up with a couple bottles of Cristom pinot, so I guess I'll muddle through.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I just drank another one of my 1966 Ch. La Tour St. Pierre, a St. Emilion. I've held several bottles since the late 70's and they seem to improve everytime I open one. Guess I'll serve it with a stew recipe featured in the current issue of Saveur magazine: beef stew in dark Belgian beer along with roasted apples bathed under a calvados syrup.

Joined Feb 5, 2002
Our family gathering have featured a significant jump in quality and quantity in recent years. I have hazy memories of Cold Duck and Blue Nun as a child. But now we've been successful enough the last few years that the crew will gamely drink just about anything that brought to the festivities (with the exception of my brother-in-law's homemade mead, but that's another post). I think this year's theme is something along the lines of anything-but-chardonnay whites and yes-you-can-drink-red-with-turkey reds. Our Thanksgiving traditions have spilled over into Wednesday with a semi-traditional seafood feast -- mounds of fresh off the boat boiled shrimp, homemade smoked fish and oysters and lots of beer and wine but I trace everything back to the famous Chardonnay year about a decade ago. Dad, Uncle M., and I each managed to bring a case of mix and match chardonnays that everyone throughly enjoyed comparing and comparing and comparing. I ultimately spent the night with the neighbor's daughter kind of comparing, but from that point on everyone's been eager to share in the discovery of a new winery they've turned up during the year. Ultimately the ever-changing wine is a nice foil for the rarely changing foods. (And, yes, I actually like garlic cheese grits now, but that's another post, too).

Latest posts

Top Bottom