Thermostat swap

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by nbolmer, Jul 26, 2012.

1. nbolmer

nbolmer

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I have an older Wolf oven (under range) with a bad thermostat. The local service company wanted to charge 280$ just for a thermostat. I found a compatible one on Grainger for 130 bucks. I'm considering doing the swap myself. Diligently googled, didn't find a how-to. How difficult is swapping a thermostat on a Wolf oven? Any tips to share?

Cheers,

Noah

2. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you're mechanically-inclined and have some idea what you're doing, then maybe pursue this.  Otherwise, you'll end up paying $410 for your new working thermostat.

3. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A thermostat's job is to shut off the heat to prevent over heating.

Imagine what can happen if it is installed incorrectly.

dcarch

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Robertshaw makes most of the thermostats for N. American gas ranges.

Are you sure it's the thermostat that's hooped?

There is another device on older models with pilot lights  called a thermo-coupler.  This has a bulb that sticks into the pilot light.  When it senses no heat, it shuts off the gas to the whole system.

Call a plumber of gas fitter to install the thing.  Service guys are made to sell factory parts,and the factory parts are Robertshaw.

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am inclined to agree with foodpump about the possibility of the problem being the thermo-coupler. I have swapped out a few of those over the years after they went belly up. Pretty easy actually. Never have had to replace a thermostat.