THe Worst ever meal was when you were a child?.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by julian, May 16, 2005.

1. julian

julian

thought about a new topic and was wondering what THe Worst ever meal was when you were a child?..For me it was Liver and Bacon something i hated and still do to this very day..The worst part was being forced by my mum to finish it even when i never wanted to carry on eating it. :D

THe Cyber chef!

http://thecyberchef.proboards33.com

2. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Anything bitter was a big turn off when I was young. Grandmother or mom would make something with the chinese bittermellon and I hated it with a passion. Bittermellon soup was the worst for me. I'm eating it now but whether or not I enjoy it is a totally different story.

3. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My mom used to make bittermelon soup also and we all loved it as kids, we also loved mustard greens and other bitter foods, the two things I could not eat but some of my sisters would eat was:

1) peanut butter soup and
    2) soup with black jell-o aka chicken blood

Both of these things still gross me out and it takes quite a bit.

4. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

For me it was any time my dad did his version of egg drop soup. He just dropped in the eggs and let them poach in the soup and then served the soup with the eggs floating on top!

5. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hmm. tough question. My mom never made gross things for us kids. I guess what I really hated was when my dad would grill steaks and I could never fully chew my bite of steak. I remember chewing it for a few minutes, then walking over to the trash can to spit it out. I guess he learned how to grill since then.

Wow, I didn't hate much food as a kid, and I was never forced to eat anything. I guess I was lucky.

6. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Easy answer for me! When I was about 5-6 yrs. old, we would have Liver and Onions fairly often. One time my mother was feeding me my dinner early. She was trying to get me to eat it and I was trying to tell her it was making me sick. Sure enuff 2 bites later and uurrrrpppp here it comes right back to the plate it came from! Last time I ever had to eat Liver! My
    Mom always made me a hamburger while my sisters complained that I didn't have to eat the Liver and they did! I can handle little bits of chopped liver and that's about it. Though I enjoy cooking it because it's a challenge to do well, but I try to avoid smelling it and I definitely won't taste it! :(

7. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My mom was always an excellent cook. Except for a misadventure into frozen salads and gelatin salads in the 60s (cucumber frost and orange mold!), everything was great.

I'd have to say my dad's "omelets" were the worst. They were overcooked scrambled eggs topped with grape jelly. When the jelly melted, the eggs looked like they had bruises. :eek:

8. frizbee

frizbee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh man, my mother was (and still is) the worst cook. Although thank god for the food network, because she is learning something (of course my very expensive culinary degree doesn’t mean squat to her food-wise because she knows everything).
    Anyway, she is half Lebanese and used to make this hamburger with bulgur wheat, called Kibbe (sp?). It was not only devoid of all flavor except wheat, she always over cooked all meat, afraid of parasites and food borne illness (she is a nurse, and germ-a-phobic). I still won’t eat the stuff, nor will I eat, thanks to my mother…peas from a can (it literally wasn’t until I was in my very late 20’s that I tried them in fried rice, I swear I used to pick them right out), or lima beans, double yuck. One of her most recent disasters was baked ziti…now really how hard is that? I asked her to make a trial run for my wedding menu (I catered my own and she offered to help with the cooking) and my husband said it had some weird curry taste to it, completely inedible. I asked what she possibly did to mess up such a simple recipe and she claimed she was just making it better with some spices...LOL she had added curry, and paprika. Needless to say I baked the ziti pans and all turned out very well. Now she is on this diet, and uses mint on everything…go figure.
    Frizbee

9. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

lima beans!!!

NEVER :mad:

Ug, don't even like imagining them, let alone think they are somehow edible!

10. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just the smell of kasha at my aunt's house was enough to do me in. :( And she ALWAYS made it whenever we came over.

And although we pleaded with our mother for medium rare lamb chops, they were always charred and dry (and tasteless) just the way my father liked them. ;)

11. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Phoebe, my grandmother's kasha was delicious because it smelled and tasted only of SCHMALTZ.

Frizbee, it could have been worse: raw kibbee!

12. pierre

pierre

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    smothered cabbage.

my mother would make this from time to time and especially on new years day. she would start with a pot of fresh cabbage and cook it for about 8 days, (acually 8 hours but what's really the difference?) until all that was left was a pot of grey-brown mushy slop. the house would smell for days and since no one ate much at first sitting, we'd inevitably have it as leftovers a day or so later. and that means another hour or so on the stove warming up. oh-boy!

Pheobe, i'm with you on the overcooked meat thing. my father refused to eat any meat with a pinkish hue to it. so hamburgers got cooked through and through and through :eek:

13. frizbee

frizbee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    EWWWWW....I can only imagine
    Frizbee

14. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    frozen rock hard lima beans....I actually had to sit at the table once until I'd eaten them....seemed like eternity, I adore the fresh or dried ones now.

The fruitcakes with the multicolored cherries are still disgusting, why oh why do they exsist?

15. redace1960

redace1960

every meal my mother made was an inedible disaster-if it wasnt boiled it was pressure cooked, and if she or my father didn't eat it when they were growing up it was 'only for rich people' leaving a very, very limited diet. what counted was that there was LOTS. a dinner out meant going to a horror of a place called North's Chuck Wagon and eating food service crap that had been sitting under greasy heat lamps out of hotel pans with grim crusty stuff caked on the sides.
    the worst? the time i came rolling in decked on lsd and my mom plopped a plate with pale, pale, waterlogged peas in front of me. each one was the size of a marble, although they were too sodden to roll... large enough to impale on the tines of a fork, but when you did, they...... burst. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    yeaaaaaaah, that left a scar.

16. artameates

artameates

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Mom had to use up eggs, so we regularly had huevo rancheros and souffle. The stench of microwaved eggs with spaghetti sauce and cheap cheddar is awful. The souffle was made of margerine, milk and the cheap cheddar. It didnt help that it was overcooked. Butter and cream or 1/2 and 1/2 is so much better.
    Funny lsd story... food is bizarre when youre tripping.

17. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hahahahahaha! Priceless...

a word about food and lsd.. I had the best quesadilla of my life from del taco while watching Dark City. I was REALLY involved with the movie, and the quesadilla. It had green sauce in wth the cheese.. my favorite!!! It took me about an hour to eat the whole thing cuz I took little bites. Then I ate someone else's.

18. redace1960

redace1960

DARK CITY ROCKS SO HARD :bounce:
    so do quesadillas.
    <ahem> you may now resume your regularly scheduled forum. thank you.

19. kerryclan

kerryclan

...do you feel better now, Redace? Glad you got that off your chest! :D :D :D

20. redace1960

redace1960

hey, it had to come out! :D harpua nailed it! great film, mind altering substances and mexican food!? ya gotta give credit where credit is due. :D
    still, back to worst meal ever when you were a child........
    another notable one comes to mind.
    :eek: STEW. :eek:
    when you were a kid, and a guest, lots of times this is what was thrown at you:
    raw ingredients dumped into a pot-including meat-and BOILED ALL DAY. not simmered, BOILED.
    the only things left at the end of this process were strings of grey protein, the occasional soft bone fragment, orange blobs of former carrot, and a....substance. sometimes with a big leaf enmired in it. could have been bay, maybe rhoderdendron, perhaps a funeral memento that fell out of the family bible. :confused: