The Walk In

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefboy2160, Dec 7, 2002.

1. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This is kind of reflective of kuans post on offices . I have an office but the walk in is where I seem to do most of my intense counseling and coaching . In fact my employees know that it is a seriouse talkin to that they will recieve if I ask them to step into the walk in . Its sound proof and well , there are no wittnesses .
    It also helps to keep it clean and organized .
    Does anybody else use the walk in like this ?:D :D

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    "Step into my office" is a phrase frequently used around both our walk-ins. Unfortunately it doesn't stay private for very long and someone ultimately turns off the lights and jams the door shut so that it becomes impossible to carry a serious conversation in there...

3. ironchefatl

ironchefatl

Exp:
    Other
    It is a good lesson teacher. Our freezer used to be inside the walk-in, like many. Well, this poor kid talked back to the sous chef and as a result told to go get a box of fries from the freezer, and portion them. He looked confused, being the middle of the rush, but went to the freezer. when he entered the freezer we turned out the lights and the sous chef went inside. A few seconds later the poor kid came flying out the door with his hat all sideways. "I gotta go to the office real quick" can also be used as an exit line for the bathroom.

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    LOL! These days, with more emphasis on food safety, walk-ins are thankfully more organized. Still, there are mysteries which remain. For example...

Who spilled the dressing?

There are always two buckets of dill pickles in the walk-in... one which contains only liquid.

At any given time there will be one lightbulb which doesn't work.

Once a month the pipes will freeze and the drainpan will overflow.

Does that plastic curtain really help?

What is THAT?!?

Watch where you put your hands. This is where your paring knives end up.

Tip for helping the waistaff keep things in order: Label the oldest stuff the newest, and newest the oldest.

:) :) :)

Kuan

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    When I first started out in banquets, chef made me scoop the ice cream in the freezer. Brrrr... man, I hated that. After I did all 200 he told me to try and be on time.

Kuan

6. nick

nick

Many, many moons ago when I was I the Navy I was working in the butcher shop at Millington (Memphis) Naval Air Station. We had a kid in there that just couldn't stop telling us how things should be done and generally bitching and being a Pain in the ***.

After a couple of weeks of this we were in the office after cleaning up and the kid starts mouthing off again. The head man hits him one time, dropping the kid to the floor. Headman asks if anyone saw anything. Shaking of heads. Nope, didn't see a thing. Kid gone the next day. No walk in needed. :D

7. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    "Chef? I just found this behind last week's tuna salad.
    Smell it. Is it bad?"

Also, how does the health inspector know when you've finished making 20 gallons of chicken soup and have just put it in the walk in to cool?
    Invariably, that's when they show up to check the cooler's temp.