The ultimate frying pan for whole fish

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by recky, Feb 18, 2013.

1. recky

recky

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I've had enough of cheap-arse teflon frying pans for my delicious, delicate trout and want to spend some cash on the ultimate pan. But - what is it??? Cast or rolled iron, well-seasoned? Stainless steel? Copper? Heavy steel or aluminium with teflon coating??? What's the ultimate fish pan for you guys?

Cheers,

Recky

2. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How are you cooking it?

Naked or with a dusting of flour? Something else?

Non-stick pans are 'disposable' - doesn't make sense but they are.

For a costlier option but not disposable...and not really an option if you are making a pan sauce.

We did trout at one place (a weekly special) and used a table top gas griddle - thermostat controlled.  It was one of the small ones 24" wide and had a surface that was very well seasoned.  It was only used for fish and never really got scrubbed down to the bare steel - just scraped and washed clean with hot water then oiled.

Every 6 months or so the chef would bring in a steel plate (engineers plate) wrapped in a very fine wet-dry sand paper and level it out.

The surface looked like black glass.   Not sure if they make cast-iron flat-top griddles anymore though.

3. recky

recky

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I usually dust the trout with flour before frying, but I don't think it makes much of a difference in terms of sticking/not sticking

4. chadateit

chadateit

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I used to do whole trout (sometimes multiple in a pan, in just regular heavy bottomed stainless steel pans. Trout came out beautiful, crispy skin every time. My preference, personally, is to do most fish in cast iron, but it actually takes a little work by your cooks to maintain them through service. The key is a heavy bottom/high heat capacity. past that, it really shouldn't matter. Definitely wouldn't use non-stick for anything in a pro kitchen, outside of eggs, if I could help it.

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013