The ugly underbelly of food blogs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chicagoterry, May 9, 2014.

1. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We all love looking at pictures of beautiful food but some people post things which should never see the light of the internet. This Tumbler is laugh out loud funny. The food looks awful. The tags are pure genius.

http://someoneatethis.tumblr.com/

2. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "Whatever the fck this is, its water just broke."

Lmao

3. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The one with the scrambled eggs and gravy described as liposuction is cracking me up.

4. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I know...I'm recovering from an awful cold and this sent me into coughing fits I was laughing so hard.

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The russian pizza about killed me with laughter. 

6. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef

This looks like Falu korv, it is horribly cheep sausage made and sold here in sweden. People bake it, slice and fry it, cover it with katsup and salsa, its hidious. I read the ingreadients lite on a popular brand here one time and it said it contained a whopping 30 percent meat. I have no clue what e[se was in it as I stopped reading right there.

7. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook

Toad roadkill roast, I suppose?

8. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Have you ever heard your own voice on a recording and thought "That's not what I sound like" ?  Sometimes I wonder what my food pictures look like to other people.

9. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Pretty sure anything can be made to look appetizing given the correct lighting.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/talker.gif  

10. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm not sure. After going through that blog, I think there might be no way to shoot biscuits and gravy that would look appetizing, The lack of contrast, the white on white. The color of the sausage doesn't come through. That would be a tough photo shoot and there were plenty of bad examples of it on the blog.

On the other hand, there were things I recognized and that I eat that I know you can't shoot well either. Like the fried chicken feet that always look like an alien vivisectionist project. Some of the halloween projects like the hot dog "fingers" are meant to be gross. And it would take a food stylist to rescue sloppy joes. 

11. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook

Light that one.

12. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  13. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My top laughers. They're actually well executed for what they are, they just struck my funny bone. 

Jellied spaghettios and Vienna sausage

The scary pizza

Pork Nativity Bake

14. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    Skyline chili is what Cincinnati is known for... That's why they call it cincy-nasty.

15. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @beastmasterflex  - well deserved. I admit that during my student days, I ate some nasty industrial gloop, but those "spaghetti" really are serious business.

@phatch  - The pizza and the nativity scene are some of my favourites, too. I would add the crab-a-pillar:

In general, the site seems to have stuff intended to be bizarre, misunderstood stuff that simply doesn't present well (e.g. I'd consider some of the aspics on the plate perfectly normal - "Tellersülze" around here), and then the really abysmal gloop like those spaghetti.

16. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    WOW... the foods of my dreams!

Well, nightmares, actually. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

The captions, though, are genius, /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

Mike

17. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Where'd you guys get those piccys of my moms cooking? Too amazing.
    Eat your ...um, heart?; out Thomas keller

18. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Yeah, on a trip from Chicago to Knoxville, we went out of our way  to go into downtown Cincinnati to sample the famed "chili five ways" at the Skyline Restaurant, which we understood to be the temple of that Cincy staple.

Poorest chili I've ever eaten.  Overcooked, limp spaghetti; watery, tasteless chili; gluey, Velveeta-esq grated cheese; and I don't even remember a couple of the other traditional ingredients. And, the serving was pretty small. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

On a positive note, though, the raw chopped onions weren't bad.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

That was fifteen or so years ago. Haven't been back since.

Mike