The skins of ox tongue

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pfelix, Apr 19, 2015.

1. pfelix

pfelix

Exp:
    Server
    Hi guys,

I am cooking some ox tongue in a large amount (about 25-30 kg worth of ox tongue)

After preparing about 4-5 kg, I kind of got a build up of the skin of the tongue (still raw, haven't cooked it just yet)

I am wondering if it is possible to use these skins at all? I'm thinking of making beef broth; but everywhere I looked; I found that it wouldn't become good broth without the use of the bones.

I don't really like to just throw these byproduct away and am thinking of any way these can be used.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The tongue "skin" you are referring to is peeled away after cooking and discarded. I doubt there would be much to gain from saving it for stock.

3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If you are roasting the tongue wouldn't it be useful as stock?  And if boiling you would certainly save the liquid for that, no?

Rick

4. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Dogs and cats will eat it and chicken too. Otherwise it will make great filling for your garbage bags .

5. pfelix

pfelix

Exp:
    Server
    The skins were raw. I peeled them off before boiling the tongue.

I end up attempting to make a bouillon with those; along with the bone-thing at the root of the tongue. Hopefully these are going to work :)

6. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Could add a wee bit of collagen to a stock, but really not worth saving. As said above, the chickens are happy with it.