the revolting muffin

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by lamington, Mar 7, 2006.

1. lamington

lamington

Hi all. So today I walked into a cafe needing a quick snack. On display were fresh-looking muffins which the owner told me had been baked inhouse that day. Sure... whatever... could still be a mix or something. I bought one (raspberry and white chocolate was the only choice).

It was revolting. The texture was good--light, fluffy. The smell was ok too. The crust (no patty pan) was surprisingly crisp with a coarse crumb, and the first bite reminded me of some cornbreads for some reason... which is an unusual impression from a muffin. And THEN... just a bite or three into it I noticed an unpleasant, mild burning on the sides of my tongue. More blackpepper than chilli in terms of sensation. The sensation persisted for some time and became strong enough to completely blank out the flavour of the muffin. At first I thought it was just the crust, but I think the soft middle had the same effect... it was hard to tell after a while. (And yes, I ate most of it cos I was so bloody hungry.) A very weird experience. What on earth could have been responsible??

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yuk! I don't know, but I can't believe you kept eating it. Did it have ingredients listed on the label?

3. lamington

lamington

If I hadn't forgotten lunch at home and been running between meetings I would have dumped it AND gone straight back to the cafe. I am indeed ashamed I ate most of it and spent most of the afternoon wondering what would happen next... sudden collapse of all internal organs?:crazy:

As it was a cafe-made product there was no packaging.

4. nowiamone

nowiamone

To much Baking Powder????

5. vera bradley

vera bradley

Exp:
    Other
    Could it have been more of a bitter taste than a pepper taste? Some people have tastebuds that will read "bitter" as "peppery".

It sounds to me as if someone misread the formula and used all baking soda instead of baking powder.

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I had a similar experience waiting for a bus in Italy. Ordered an espresso, and something at the bottom of the cup set my throat on fire. My bus came, and as the day wore on, the pain in my throat grew more and more, my eyes were watering, and there was nothing I could do but guzzle water all day. To this day, I don't know what I drank, but it WAS NOT ESPRESSO!

7. lamington

lamington

No, definitely not. It was first suspicion as I noticed something unpleasant developing, but there was none of the soapy metallic bitterness of baking powder accidents -- unless there are baking powders which leave a very different impression in large quantities, though that seems unlikely.

This was definitely a burning sensation. Not painful, not hot like chilli, and primarily on the sides of the tongue. Very weird. C'mon there must be someone out there who has experimented with chemicals! :look:

Momoreg and your espresso... sounds awful! I've once had an instant coffee drink where the whitener caused a sharp prickling sensation (not allergic type) in the throat. Ewwwww.

8. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The person making it!?
    Before you go traveling the world searching for an answer, have you gone back to the cafe and asked them? There could be any number of answers! I would go there, and talk to the manager and find out. At the very least they may have been trying out their new recipe for Southwestern Cornbread, and Cayenne Coulis Muffin!:eek: :beer:

9. lamington

lamington

First choice of course, but it's not in a part of the city where I usually go -- I was just rushing past the place and stopped to grab an emergency ration.

10. cheri

cheri

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Could it have been the raspberry? I have had good and bad experiences with the flavor, and actual fermented berry.

11. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I missed this.
    I'm going to venture to say it was a zucchini muffin.
    Every time I mention the bitter squash, nobody seems to have come across the zucchini that was picked early, is a little plump, bad watering, and then has sat in the store for who knows how long. The bitterness will sent you into a tailspin! It will ruin anything like tat toui. One bad zucc will ruin the whole dish. I know I'm not immagining this for my family has gotten into the habbit of tasting every squash before cooking with it. I have had zuccs that were so bitter it acted like I had peppercorns inbetween the lip and gums.