The Proper way to Cook Fettuccine Noodles

Joined Aug 15, 2015
First off! Thank you, for not wanting to Judge or Criticize me for Cooking out my Home! YOU are the First that wanted to tell me about The Food! But I will wait to add the Sauce once I get there Cause I don't want the Milk in the Sauce clouble-up! For the Record I cook for my Neighbor Hood so Yes I did get Certified to be able to do so with out any Trouble!

Joined Aug 15, 2015
If you would not mind, if you would email me off this site if and in case I would need help or second opinion on anything else. I'm not too happy with this side because I have gotten Judge and criticize on the things I have chosen to do. But you can reach me or email me at [email protected]! I will be leaving this site I'm not happy! I thought it was about the Food or Help on what it is One would ask!

Joined Aug 15, 2015
Yes I asked for Help for what Advice on the Proper Way to Cook Fettuccine Noodles... I DID NOT ASK TO BE JUDGE OR CRITICIZE... YOU SAY IT'S BS.... I AM NOT MAD I DON'T CARE 1 WAY OR ANOT HER OF WHY AND HOW YOU FEEL! ONLY BE CAUSE I NOT IN A KITCHEN DO NOT MEANING I DO NOT WHAT I AM DOING! I KNOW HOW TO COOK MY PASTA SO IT WOULD NOT BE CRAP I KNOW HOW TO DO MY ALFREDO FROM STRETCH MAYBE NOT LIKE YOU BUT I DO. FOR THE RECORD I AM MY OWN CRITIC! SO I 2ND Guess myself so I was Really asking for a 2nd Opinion!! It a Go Figure you are Quick to PUT THE NEXT DOWN INSTEAD OF Saying to Each On!!! I get it You is WELL ESTABLISH I guess! So you feel you have the Right but You Don't! That's the Sad Part of this All! The Well off Look Down when they Feel the Next perso are beneath them...

Joined Aug 21, 2004
First off! Thank you, for not wanting to Judge or Criticize me for Cooking out my Home! YOU are the First that wanted to tell me about The Food!
You got solid suggestions in keeping with your proposed dish from several people before @harrisonh gave you his suggestion.

Is there any chance you can bring the sauce separately?  I suspect you will probably be fine in any case but it might help to have the sauce separate so you can dress it at the last minute. Of course the closer you can cook the pasta before the event the better but it sounds like it will be an hour or so, which should be fine. 

Anyone else?
If your sauce is going to be held hot I don't see a reason why you couldn't cookpasta/drain/rinse/coat with a splash of oil and bring it to the event at room temp then add before service. If that is an impossibility, cook pasta al dente and add just before you walk out of the door. Doesn't hold well in sauce though if it's avoidable.
Originally Posted by chefbuba  

Can you cook the pasta where it's being served then sauce it? (bring the sauce hot)

An old trick to hold pasta in a steam table is to cook, drain well, do not rinse. Toss with olive oil and grated parmesan (like the stuff in the green can) and cover tight with plastic wrap.
Ok. From a food quality point of view the best way of doing this right is to put the sauce on at service. Alfredo tends to seize up very tight and dry when it sits, cooking it al dente, dressing it with a bit of butter and parmigiana then saucing it on site would be how I would do it if I was in that position.

If you cannot cook the pasta at the venue then I would follow @Lagom  's advice.

mimi
Feedback is part and parcel of being a caterer. A thick skin is a highly suggested personality trait for those wishing to participate in the business of catering.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 17, 2010
You say you didn't get any advice, there were eight responses including mine offering help in how to best serve your pasta, including basic recipes for Alfredo sauce.

Joined May 25, 2015
Not for anything but it was you who brought up the fact that you will be doing catering professionally from your home. I don't think anyone here believes that you would purposefully harm anybody, but you seem to want to ignore the fact that there are regulations about preparing food at home for sale to the public. Those who commented on it were just giving you good advice so I don't know why you are so defensive. It doesn't matter how clean you think your kitchen is, your food service experience, whatever "medical license" you have. I never heard of a health department certifying a home kitchen.

Personally, when I attend functions like Pot Luck Suppers where the food was prepared by people at home then transported to the location I rarely will eat anything- knowing what I know. I don't know if anybody ever became sick (how would I really know?) but there is a big difference between preparing food for your family and preparing food for the public. If your husband gets sick he's not likely going to sue you.

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Finally someone who knows how Alfredo made this dish.  I found this recipe in a cookbook many years ago. It is in Leone's Italian Cookbook by Gene Leone.  This is still available an Amazon.  Great book about someone who started entertaining at home an turning it into a restaurant.  

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013
Sometimes the simplest dishes can become very complicated - when adding in all the other additional factors.

Can you either prepare the entire sauced dish packaged with instructions to reheat at your end, or prepare and serve on site?  Does the client have proper sized pots & pans, etc., and a stove? Other than alfredo sauce, how about a fresh tomato sauce (fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs -basil, oregano , garlic, onion) & fresh mozzarella, or parm-reg or ricotta), pesto, tomato-vodka.

Last edited:

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I'm stepping in as moderator here.

@Katevans74  You've received plenty of good suggestions here.  I would not take anything personally.  Some of the people on this board have 30-40 years of catering experience under their belt.  It would be wise to at least consider their advice.

Joined Sep 18, 2012

That was Steve TPHC
Thanks for the complement. I find the only time anyone believes what an instructor is telling them is when they are tasting the result for themselves. Althought I teach international dishes, the class most in demand is the Italian (actually its is Roman). What I like most about this food is it is always easy and usually simple. If you send me an email, I will send you a link to free download of my cookbook. (see email address below. Download will be 24MB)

By the way, I have another recipe in my book to duplicate the mouth feel of authentic Alfredo that skips the expensive Italian butter. Homemade eggs noodles made from free range fresh chicken eggs straight from the farm are easy with a pasta attachment for one's Kitchen Aid (see )

[email protected]

Joined Jan 20, 2013
We all hope that high professional standards are held because it reflects our industry for those of us who are working or who are retired/semiretired. Having a food handlers or food managers card does NOT mean the kitchen is certified. It requires a separate certification.

I think ALL of us are on the same page not to sauce early, but we CAN say it in a nice way. We all have our own level of what criticism we can take. With the exception of a few, most of the criticism was CONSTRUCTIVE, but there were a few that might be a little harsh. In fact, I thought mine was harsher than some of the others. But there were a few that were just down right cruel.

I too have noticed that there are some people at cheftalk that CLAIM to be owners/operators but whom I doubt have ever stepped in a kitchen. I've been told I was "full of carp" and ddidn't know what I was talking about because I didn't think a victorinox was the worlds best knife. I think it would have been good to make professionals verify their credentials, but that's too late now. I'm well respected in my town, so I don't care what armchair people who think they're chefs think. But there re many REAL professionals and even talented  amateurs that even old guys like me can learn from.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Wait a minute - are you saying the blackened, gluten free chicken with the pumpkin spiced chipotle alfredo isn't a REAL alfredo?

mjb.

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I thought long and hard before replying, again. Perhaps my advice was a little harsh, or at least the tone was harsh sounding. I want to share a story with you all.

Back in my line-cook days, I had been at a restaurant for about 6 months. It was a fine dining restaurant. I was working pastry. This one day I decided I was going to make cookies and cream ice cream. It happened to be a day when the chef wasn't coming in until around 3:00 PM. He was doing a demo all day.

I promptly went to the store and bought a package of Oreo cookies. (I bet everyone that has ever been a chef knows exactly where this is going.) At any rate I made the 2 quarts of the ice cream. When Jim walked in, the chef, as normal he asked me about my station, the prep, the usual stuff. We chatted for a bit, we had an awesome working relationship that became a personal friendship and we are still friends to this day. Anyway I proudly showed him the ice cream.

Man he ripped me up one side and down the other. He asked me if I made the cookies. I looked at him and said, no. Right then, at that moment I developed my understanding of what it means to be a chef. He had no problem with the ice cream, his problem is that I opened a package and made a product we couldn't sell.

From that point on if I made something, it was from scratch. You know, it's the reason why I know how to cook and the reason why I know how to butcher, and the reason I know how to bake. It's the reason why I was able to work as a cook and sous chef and exec chef on two continents in three countries. It's the reason I was able to work as an exec chef in NYC, one of the most difficult places to make it as a chef.

That lesson that day, taught me well. It made me realize the value of doing it right from scratch every time.

Joined Jun 23, 2015

Wait a minute - are you saying the blackened, gluten free chicken with the pumpkin spiced chipotle alfredo isn't a REAL alfredo?

mjb.
Yes in my opinion for what is worth that is not REAL Alfredo.  It is a pasta dish most likely a very good pasta dish.  Real Alfredo is a butter, cheese and pasta dish.  This can be confirmed in Webster's New World Dictionary of Culinary Arts.   All meat should be gluten free.  Gluten is a protein composite found in grains.  Remember  opinions are worth what you pay for them.

Top Bottom