The Proper way to Cook Fettuccine Noodles

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by katevans74, Oct 1, 2015.

1. katevans74

katevans74

Exp:
    Other
    Hello! I would like to know the Proper way to Cook Fettuccine pasta for a party that will be kept on Warmer till time to serve? I guess I need to know how to keep the Fettuccine from over cooking

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    A few more details will be needed to answer your question. 

How long? Just before service, twenty minutes, an hour? With sauce? 

Why do you have to hold it? 

3. katevans74

katevans74

Exp:
    Other
    HELLO!The event is set to began @ 6 pm... I will have to Drive about 15-25 minutes to the place! After that the Peoples would Most Likely eat maybe around 7pm. The Sauce would be on it during from the Time FROM My Place To WHERE I HAVE To Deliver to.

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
         You haven't said how soon this event is. I mention that because there are several very experienced caterers on this forum who can provide much better advice than I can if you can wait a day or two for others to respond. In any case, I'll give it a try. 

Is there any chance you can bring the sauce separately?  I suspect you will probably be fine in any case but it might help to have the sauce separate so you can dress it at the last minute. Of course the closer you can cook the pasta before the event the better but it sounds like it will be an hour or so, which should be fine. 

Anyone else?

5. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If your sauce is going to be held hot I don't see a reason why you couldn't cookpasta/drain/rinse/coat with a splash of oil and bring it to the event at room temp then add before service. If that is an impossibility, cook pasta al dente and add just before you walk out of the door. Doesn't hold well in sauce though if it's avoidable.

6. katevans74

katevans74

Exp:
    Other
    The Event is on 10/10 I am suppose to Drop the Food off but I can check to see if They would let me Mix the Sauce there before I Leave. I said I would cook the pasta for at the most 8 minutes an drench with cold water so it would stop cooking then pour the sauce on it to heat it back once it on heat then it would Be just right for the Event & at Least not OVER COOKED..... Tell me do that sound it would be a Good Ideal??

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How many people is this for?  What type of sauce?  If you sauce the pasta an hour ahead of time it will be a mess by time it is served.

Can you cook the pasta where it's being served then sauce it? (bring the sauce hot)

An old trick to hold pasta in a steam table is to cook, drain well, do not rinse. Toss with olive oil and grated parmesan (like the stuff in the green can) and cover tight with plastic wrap.

Another thing that I will bring up is why are you catering out of your home? It's one thing to make food and take it to a friend's but as soon as any $$ is exchanged there are ramifications.

8. katevans74

katevans74

Exp:
    Other
    The reason for me Catering out of my Home is I am in the Scooting Stage of wanting& working on Having my OWN catering Services! The clients I work with Have and is Aware of the situation. Not only that I tell them Verbally and it is in writing that I am Catering out of my Home! Have you ever had to Struggle to Accomplish your Goals! Well that is what I am doing! The People I work with Knows me and that I am Amazing Cook and my House is as Proper as you Restaurant. I was and Still Have my Medical Licensing So being Clean and Protecting someone from getting Sick aPe my #1 Priorities....

9. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What kind of sauce? It makes a big difference.

10. katevans74

katevans74

Exp:
    Other
    Hello it's a Alfredo sauce made with Cramer of Chicken.

11. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ok. From a food quality point of view the best way of doing this right is to put the sauce on at service. Alfredo tends to seize up very tight and dry when it sits, cooking it al dente, dressing it with a bit of butter and parmigiana then saucing it on site would be how I would do it if I was in that position.

12. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How can you seriously charge money for a classic Italian dish called Fettuccine Alfredo bastardized with Cream of Chicken Soup?

Unless your audience is a bunch of hayseeds that don't know the difference, your dream will be shattered.

drirene likes this.
  13. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Now Buba......play nice.

This recipe is prolly one that has been handed down thru the family for generations!

mimi

14. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    @Katevans74  .

I don't know the whole membership of Chef Talk's back history but do know enuf to tell you most of them (include me there) struggled at some point.

Again I don't know if everyone followed the rules and kept it legal during those struggles but have a funny feeling that most did (again add me in there).

Just because whoever is using your services has been made aware they are buying food from an uninspected, unlicensed kitchen (you really put this in a contract???) does nothing to protect you and your future (OBTW did you know you can loose everything you own if someone sues you?) dreams of having a catering business.

I don't doubt your kitchen is clean and you prolly have some sort of food handlers permit since you provided some sort of medical services at that address but I am pretty sure whatever it is won't fly with your local health department.

mimi

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  15. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    You didn't come here for a lecture so this is what I would suggest.

If you cannot cook the pasta at the venue then I would follow @Lagom  's advice.

mimi

16. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Well because her house is as proper as any restaurant and she still has medical licensing, duh bubba.

17. steve tphc

steve tphc

Exp:
    Food Writer
    What the heck is Cramer of Chicken?

Your guest should have real Alfredo. There no need to disappoint them.

Make (or buy fresh) egg pasta from scratch and let it dry on a broom handle a couple of hours that day. Buy some Europen butter (different flavor and higher fat content) and some finely freshly ground imported Parmigiano Reggiano and bring it with you. Tell your host to put a large pasta pot of water to boil ten minutes before your scheduled arrival.

Salt the water until it tastes slightly salty. It takes three minutes to cook that pasta. It is easily overcooked, start sampling the pasta at 2 1/2 minutes. Drain it retaining some of the pasta water. In the hot pot, add butter and cheese tossing with some of the pasta water for three or four minutes in the sauce is creamy. Correct the seasoning. That's it!

I am on the left in this photo at Alfredo's in 1962.

drirene and french fries like this.
  18. chefanthonyd

chefanthonyd

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    First, you stated that you are trying to launch a catering business. Let me just say this, if you are "cooking" out of cans, boxes, and packages you're not COOKING. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can do what you're doing with a copy of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. You want to get into catering you need to learn to cook from scratch.

The original Alfredo, from Rome, is heavy cream, butter, parmigiano-reggiano, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg - look it up.

Second, while I believe you when you stated that your home is spotless, that isn't going to mean anything if the health department finds out you're preparing and selling food made in your home. There are options available to you. Many regions have professional kitchens you can rent, some by the day and some by the hour. Another option is to look around for a food truck and retrofit it for catering, though this option would be rather costly and based on your comment about trying to make it, probably not viable, immediately.

The health department aside, if you inadvertently make someone sick they can and likely will sue you. Your homeowners insurance isn't going to cover that loss.

Lastly, there shouldn't be any reason you can't pull this together on-site. The finished dish will be far better if it's right off the stove rather than pre-cooked, sauced, and held for an hour and a half.

Food for thought - Make the pasta from scratch on-site and do it out of the goodness of your heart. Your future clients will appreciate a well made and delicious meal. Then stop taking on clients until you have a proper kitchen to cater from. Yes it is the harder route but worth it in the end.

harrisonh likes this.
  19. katevans74

katevans74

Exp:
    Other
    When I say and Alfredo sauce meaning from Stretch with Heavy whipping cream, a cheese sauce and Milk also with Cream of Chick & Mushroom. NON OF MY Food is out of Jars boxes or cans! Yes I have Had my Kitchen Inspected be cause I wanted to Be Safe! You are so Quick to Judge be4 You can get the hold story! I thoughts this was about food not Trying to Judge the next for trying!

The part you all are Missing is the People that get me to Cater their Food..... THEY KNOW ME MY COOKED AND THEY ASK ME TO CATER THEIR FOOD! I DO NOT HAVE TO GO AROUND AND GET CLINT BECAUSE THEY ARE COMING TO ME! The Jobs I have gotten are Word of Mouth! Since this about Me AND NOT FOOD ! THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS LOOK ING FOR I DO NOT AND 1 CRITICIZING for Not Being YOU! SO I WILL BE SINGING OFF THIS SITE BECAUSE I THOUGHT THIS WAS A BUT COOKED OR FOOD!!!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  20. harrisonh

harrisonh

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    yeah, fettuccini is a REALLY bad choice for holding that long. There is the health issue, but with that short a dive time, I'm sure your  catering boxes will be OK. That short a distance you won't even need electric ones. Just make sure you remind your staff that once the seal is popped, the temp is donna drop.

There is a HUGE chance the sauce will break and if you sauce it before, you're going to wind up with a horrible sticky, greasy, starchy  mess.

As far as cooking out of your house, as long as your county allows it, and it's certified periodically, that's up to them. I know it's hard to start a business. But it's a legal requirement, not just I did it because I don't want to get anyone sick.
    We're on your side, but the way you're doing things caused some of us to scratch our heads. I know you probably said  it that way because you think we're picking on you. We're NOT. We want you to be successful and we've seen many mistakes and want you to avoid the mistakes others have made.
     We assumed if you didn't want honest answers, then why did you ask? good luck! You have experienced professionals, and every single one is telling you NOT to sauce at home.

the best way would be to bring  noodles and the sauce separately,  add your sauce, protein and veggie on site just before service (NOT an hour early). Make sure you bring an induction burner to fix it if it breaks. Do NOT sauce it at home!!!

Oh, and from personal experience, I gotta tell you, if you do it buffet style, your protein will disappear before everything else will, so bring some extra and don't put it out right away. I personally had an issue with some 21/25 shrimp in a fettuccini alfredo that I catered. Luckily I had extras and had a live kitchen that night. 4 extra pounds of shrimp killed my profit margin.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015