The price of beef

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Don't forget that in 2010 and 2011 they thinned herds when the bubble burst and now we are feeling it since there is a lack of cattle to pull from.

Joined May 8, 2009
Tyson is a  low life outfit who has been ripping off stockholders for years, and in fact is almost a monopoly. They were biggest in chicken and then purchased IBP which made them # 2 in meat. I believe Cargil is number 1
Yes, that's what I meant. IBP. I think you're being a bit too kind with the "low life" comment.

I'm finding local suppliers that will match or beat those big names' prices.

It makes me think that these pricing issues are specific to the monopoly holders and the victims of that monopoly. (oligopoly..or whatever)

I live in Washington State. Buying beef from OR or WA. In rare cases from CA or Canada.

Am I living in a bubble?

Joined May 8, 2009
Well, I don't have anything new to add, but, rather than start a new thread,

BUMP

what are we going to do now?

What are we actually looking at? How much did you pay this week vs. last week vs. last year?

beefretail.org

Not sure of it accuracy, just a chart to look at. People like charts.

I know stuff like this is kind of hush-hush, nobody feels comfortable revealing their suppliers' prices, but we can chat about it, no?

Are you just rolling with the punches or are you raising menu prices?

Is it even affecting you?

Me? Well I thought you'd never ask!

I'm locked in on grd beef prices with a local rancher. Menu reflects that price and that price isn't going to change because local.

Prime rib is floating ~.50/lb. That can add up at 1.5 cases a week, so good-bye prime dip and hello pre-cooked top round french dip (price seems to be stable on that product).

Stew meat hasn't moved enough to be a problem, not enough a problem to spend labor on buying chuck and cutting it in house.

I started getting strip loins in and cutting steaks myself 8 months ago. I control the yield (like I should). But I'm thinking about changing it to something with a higher yield/less waste like teres major.

Anything new on your end?

Joined Jan 19, 2014
I'm looking for a breakfast steak. I was cutting small 7 oz.strips but I can no longer afford it with the selling prices we need to keep it to (around $15). My business model requires a 25% food cost on average and I just don't have enough lower % items to offset the price of beef. Any suggestions?

Joined Aug 14, 2013
I'm having the same problem even no roll has got to expensive. I've been looking to that ranch girl garbage but can't bring myself to do it. Thinks it's time to goto a differet cut.

Joined Apr 6, 2014
 Meat and dairy prices are going up  globally. The way I see it you have three options;

1. raise menu prices.

2. find a substitute for meat and dairy

3. move more and more to sous vide, which allows you to use cheaper cuts of meat.

Number 1 is out  for a lot of folks, especially in the middle market segment, where margins are already squeezed.

Number 2 requires some creative thinking, but can be made to work so that your customer does not even notice.

Number 3 requires the purchase of quite expensive equipment, and perhaps retraining your staff.

We have done a mixture of all three. we already worked a lot with sous vide techniques , so we just expanded that. We have just ordered another three water baths, which brings us to five in total.

We did reduce the amount of proteins on our menus by quite some ways, added some raw food, some vegan stuff, got a bit creative, extended our larder section.

Rather than raise our protein prices on the existing menu  we are taking a small unused open air space ( about 50 sq. meters) and converting it into an open air grill/Steak Bar.   Our prices will go up, but we hope that by doing this we will also be adding value that folks can see. 

Joined Aug 14, 2013
Hey santona have you ever sous vide chuck steaks or top round steaks. I've heard claims that when done right they can produce results as tender as prime rib. I was planning on experimenting soon, but my experiments tend to cost me a lot of money... And I like money. Maybe I should start a thread on sous vide steak cuts? Let me pick your brain?

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hey santona have you ever sous vide chuck steaks or top round steaks. I've heard claims that when done right they can produce results as tender as prime rib. I was planning on experimenting soon, but my experiments tend to cost me a lot of money... And I like money. Maybe I should start a thread on sous vide steak cuts? Let me pick your brain?
Id say you are able to get magnificent meat by mixing SV and chuck steaks

Of course it depends on what you want to use the final result, but Ive been very happy about mine. 

Now as we are discussing this, Santona... Whats your thoughts about sous vide in ovens with vapour vs. circulators and water baths. In some cases I think its works fine, but sometimes there is no substitute for waterbath and the efficiency of the water when it comes to transferring heat quickly.

Joined Aug 14, 2013
I'm looking at doing chuck tender steaks choice grade in a poly science rig. Does the marbling melt sufficiently? Also I think sous vide in a combi oven (I'm assuming you mean vacuum packaging and then steaming.) produces totally different results. Ive done it with chicken a great deal in both. I think the difference between the two is most clearly demonstrated with eggs.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 6, 2014
 Sous Vide can  produce some really cool results in using cuts like chuck/ top Round/ Onglet etc. 

I will start  a thread on sous vide  so as not to derail this thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom