The physics of buttered toast

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Jul 8, 2014.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Basically, our physical dimensions dictate the heights of things we find comfortable. Toast tends to fall from the surfaces at a slow speed. The slow speed drop from the surface means a particular rate of spin. Since the height of tables, counters, carried plates is all pretty close, the toast can't rotate far enough in that height to avoid landing on the buttered side. 

Well, at least I thought the analysis was interesting but I'm a nerdy person.  http://io9.com/5867322/an-experimen...to-keep-toast-from-landing-buttered-side-down

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Place a trail of clean sheet pans on the floor from the point of the toaster to the dining table. Problem solved./img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif  

3. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Murphy's law:

"The odds of a buttered piece of toast landing buttered-side down, are directly proportional to the cost of the floor covering."

4. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The solution is obviously to butter the other side of the toast.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  And so the "Butter Battle" that the historian Dr. Seuss wrote about began.

And are you familiar with the buttered cat paradox? http://mentalfloss.com/article/27716/buttered-cat-paradox

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  5. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's the whole idea why waffles were invented.

Butter and jam stay inside those little boxes so they don't touch the floor if the waffle falls on the floor. 

dcarch

6. donmoocao

donmoocao

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook