The one thing in the kitchen you cannot live without!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by robbie rensel, Apr 3, 2013.

1. robbie rensel

robbie rensel

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What is the one thing in the kitchen that you cannot live without?  I have two, a good non stick pan, and a pepper grinder.  First, the good non stick pan is a must, especially if you like breakfast and you want to make it fast and easy.  With a good non stick pan like a scan pan you do not have to worry about ruing your eggs or other food due to sticking.  They are also so easy to clean and a dream to cook on.  Next is a pepper grinder, I love fresh pepper.  If I get a ceaser salad I practically wear the waiter out cracking fresh ground pepper on my salad.  If you take the time to grind your pepper fresh it makes such a difference. 

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    When we go visit my wife's family for various holidays and I cook, the most frustrating thing is not having decent knives.

mjb.

3. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Programmable coffee maker set to 6 am with Dark Roast Community Coffee.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If I tried to narrow it down to one my brain might explode. 

5. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    kitchen aid and 14 cup cuisinart food processor.

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Knife and wok. Even when i travel i carry both.

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    mortar/pestle and etamine

8. kostendorf

kostendorf

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    my two serbian kitchen helpers.  two is important so they can alternate days off and holidays

9. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Serbian kitchen helpers are, indeed, indispensable things.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  10. slayertplsko

slayertplsko

Exp:
    At home cook
    Pepper and salt grinder are totally indispensable. I've got one that does both - just flip it around and grind. And mortar and pestle. I can't understand how anyone can make pesto in a food processor, it just isn't right. Plus, the feeling of crushing something in a mortar is so primeval that I love it. Also, I've recently purchased an unglazed Hungarian Romertopf clay baker, but I haven't used it yet. I haven't used my tagine yet either. These are serious candidates, too.

11. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My coffee maker stopped working this morning so I am especially sensitive on that count today. I have alternative coffee technologies but none are as convenient as stumbling into the kitchen and hitting the "on" button.

12. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    How can there be ONE thing, Robbie - you, in fact, mention two.  But where do you use your pan if not on a stove? 

Are you talking about the one unusual thing beyond a source of heat, a source of water, a way to keep food cool, some containers to heat the food or water in, and some knives and spoons and forks to get the food into a form that is usable?

Cookbooks - they're pretty essential, since i love to bake and i can cook without a recipe, but not bake.  Going with that is the measuring cup. 

I've done some pretty fancy stuff without a mixer - when i first moved to Rome i had none, and made cakes all by hand.  But i had and would have a hard time without my big mixer. 

I like freshly ground pepper but i have broken up pepper with a rolling pin, a mortar and pestel, the back of a spoon and a dish.

I really hate to use my hands to pick up salt (my hands are always wet and i have little cuts and peeling cuticles that burn, and it's annoying to stop and wash off the salt) so my large salt shaker is essential, but not absolutely essential. 

I like to peel my carrots with one of those carrot peelers with the loose blade http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ohhdUaitIsG_PO3FgagB&ved=0CFcQ9QEwCw&dur=2273
    and there is nothing that does it so fast or so well, scraping downwards quickly around the carrot.  But i can do without one and scrape the carrots with a knife perpendicular to the carrot

A decent chef's knife (i'm not a fanatic and not a fetishist, it just has to cut fairly easily and be straight on the bottom) and a really good paring knife and a cutting board.  But those are as basic as the stove. 

The dishwasher deserves a special place in my heart, and rather than have monuments in cities to generals and others who killed and destroyed,  i would have monuments to some of the inventors objects that have been of great service to humanity, like penicillin, aspirin, bandaids, weaving, sewing, and the dishwasher.  The unsung heroes and heroines.  Everything goes in the dishwasher when i cook.  But of course i can live without it.  I just don;t like to. 

And as someone who can't plan five minutes in advance what i'm having for dinner, a microwave with a defrost setting is a very nice thing to have. 

13. chef lee

chef lee

Exp:
    Private Chef
    My stand-up mixer! This thing has saved me so many times with heavy doughs or batters! Before I purchased my stand-up; I was going through hand mixers like crazy (4-6 a year)!. I am not as young as I think I am...

I also could not live without my Mercer paring knife. It is the same paring knife that came in my knife kit when I went to culinary school and it is the best, the sharpest, the most comfortable paring knife I have ever used.

14. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    In the kitchen...A refrigerator/freezer however the one cooking tool I simply could not live with out is a BGE. A quality gyuto and copper pans would be next on my list.

Dave

15. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's an interesting topic. 

I gave some thought to:

Are they really the nes plus ultra of can't-live-withouts, though?  Of course, the same question was raised by everyone elses' well-chosen faves. 

People who know me from CT, would probably expect me to pick:

Some weeks though, it's all about the software.  So, I thought I'd go with this:

BDL

16. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Well who could follow that act, still, seeing as there are many ways of coping without all other items but one,  I can narrow it down to the non-stick pan.

Rick

17. dledmo

dledmo

Exp:
    At home cook
    I agree with Boar, the one thing I need is the inspiration!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  18. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
     Did you also appreciate the transfromation of his stove to a Lignum Yoni alter?

19. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Oh but of course, that is just what you meant!

Rick

20. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

BDL