The October 2015 Challenge is . . . . PIE

Joined Jul 13, 2012
That's right this month's Challenge is PIE.   Looking through the past challenges I realized that most of those could be made into a pie of some sort.  So lets think about the humble PIE (sorry couldn't resist) It can be sweet, or savory it can have a crust, or be crustless, it could fruit, veg, meat, fish, cheese and if it has a crust that could be made of anything too so really the sky's the limit isn't it?  

I hope this is a good challenge topic and I'm looking forward to some creative entries so put on your thinking caps and good luck.  

(now for the usual disclaimer: only entries made in the month of October 2015 are valid)

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined Mar 19, 2009
I'll win this challenge. I'll present only 1 pie, but it will be enormous.

I'll win based on hugeness, rather than quality. My new wicked strategy!

Joined Apr 24, 2011
@Mike9  PIE!!! 

I Love PIE!!

I was just going through my 'Recipe Binder' and found an old recipe

for a savory pie that I thought my husband would like.

We'll give it a go.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Good thing I just rendered duck fat!  In the freezer I have leaf lard from a heritage pig breed and duck fat.  Time for a side by side pie crust comparison experiment!

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Winning this challenge should be easy, as as, uh, making a winning dish!

I did a really cheesy thing last month, I'll have to come up with something crusty this month.

mjb.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Fresh rhubarb from the garden, the best crappy strawberries I could find, sugar substitute (I'm diabetic) Stevia Baking Blend, tapioca to bind and a splash of Mexican Vanilla.

For the topping, Rolled oats, flour, corn starch, butter, brown sugar substitute and Saigon Cinnamon.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I have no ideas for pie yet but this challenge reminds me of the movie "Waitress",  a great movie centered around a pie shop. If you haven't seen it, this would be the month to do so. 

I did just see some pears at the market today. Perhaps…..

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Say can someone create a version of that margherita pizza for those of us trying to avoid gluten dairy and nightshades. :))

Latest posts

Top Bottom