The November 2017 Challenge is . . . COMFORT FOOD

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mike9, Nov 3, 2017.

1. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    With Autumn in the air and cold weather right around the corner - (not to mention the holidays) I could think of no better Challenge than good old Comfort Food. It can be something from your youth something your grandma made, or something you discovered along the path of life. I know I have many different ones at this point. They can be simple, or complex, or it could be food you take comfort in preparing as well as enjoying. My friends - the game is afoot . . . may the best dish win.

Guide lines copied from another month

- The challenge begins on the 1st of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.

- You may post multiple entries.

- All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.

- If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.

- Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.

- The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.

- Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cool, or maybe hot in this case

3. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG I'll be first out of the gate. Only have a pic of the finished product.
    Had half of a roasted chicken in the fridge. Mushrooms, celery, onions, sherry so it was tetrazzini for dinner.
    Made a rich stock, for veloute, threw it all together with pasta and lots of freshly grated Romano cheese, topped with panko crumbs, baked till golden brown.
    It was GSP approved.

drirene, phatch and butzy like this.
  4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Man, wish you had posted this a few hours earlier. Supper last night was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, peas, and an awesome creamy mushroom and onion gravy. Alas, no pictures!!!:(

5. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We are in plain summer here in South America! Still, I'm gonna try some of my favorites and share here ;)

Great challenge! The possibilities are endless!

6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    IMHO "COMFORT" is a year 'round thing - just sayin'

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I did about the same a few nights ago.

8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Today I made braised lamb shanks and beans with wild rice sausage. Here are the shanks braising.

20171104_192500.jpg
    Final product.

20171104_192256.jpg

millionsknives, 9iron, pete and 5 others like this.
  9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Nice Kuan -I love shanks and have five venison shanks in the freezer.

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Luckily comfort food is everyone's favorite thing to eat so hopefully we'll get lots of entries on this one. Although there are many agreed-upon comfort foods out there (mac n cheese, soup, meatloaf, etc) we all know that comfort food is very unique to each person. A friend of mine for example told me his comfort food is sushi, which is not at all the food I turn to when I'm in need of some comfort. Everyone's story is a little different and I'm hoping people will give us insight into why these foods bring them comfort.

After a very long week of working I sat down to cook yesterday. I can't tell you how many times I've had cheese and crackers for dinner or picked up a salad for lunch, always eating on the run. So I was really looking forward to this pork roast. In my opinion, any food that takes a really long time to cook ends up being comfort food. Now when I make a pork roast for guests I make sure the pork holds together so it can be presented nicely. And I wouldn't dream of serving roast potatoes unless they were perfectly shaped and golden brown. But for myself, I want a big mushy pile of potatoes that have fallen apart roasting in the pork juices. So voila, my garlic/lemon/thyme roasted pork and potatoes.
    IMG_9586.JPG

butzy, summer57, phatch and 1 other person like this.
  11. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Double Cut Pork Chop (Sous Vide) with Rotkohl and Spaetzle with Jaeger Sosse (mushroom gravy)

IMG_20171105_123212289_HDR.jpg

And that's pretty much the order you make it in as well.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    pete and butzy like this.
  12. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd like to hear more about that rice sausage Kuan.

13. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    My favorite comfort food is usually sweet. This is a yellow butter cake filled with a thin layer of chocolate ganache topped with a thick layer of chocolate mousse. It is covered with vanilla SMB and chocolate curly cues. While my piping is very slowly improving, the cake was delicious.

The ganache is Maida Hatter's Queen Mother Cake's ganache recipe with only 1 tsp coffee.

The mousse is the Cake Boss recipe with the chocolate increased to 1 cup, no rum and a touch of dried coffee and salt added to amp up the flavor.

The Swiss meringue buttercream was made a month ago and frozen. The recipe is Cake Boss, but the method was Summer Stone's butter cream myth.

The cake was my go to yellow cake from Smitten Kitchen.

IMG_8395.JPG

IMG_8403.JPG

pete, morning glory and phatch like this.
  14. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Nice

15. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Lamb shanks are so comfort food! Add the beans and I'm sold.:)

16. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Me too - didn't quite know what that was...

17. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    IMG_8421.JPG I don't eat meat or chicken, so one of my favorite savory comfort foods is veggy curry. This slightly sweet vegetable curry, which is far juicier than pictured, is a doctored version of Karen's Spice Kitchen.

Karen provides a yummy spice mix and directions. That’s all. You provide and chop the veggies and other ingredients, so it is all scratch cooking and very healthy. The ingredients that predominate in this South Indian dish are coconut, sweet potato, chick pea, and carrot the way I make it. The dish was doctored by adding more salt, a tablespoon of sugar, a handful of raisins, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and doubling the lime juice and zest. This dish is surprisingly hearty and highly addictive.

18. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It's just pork sausage with wild rice used as the panade.

19. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've used regular cooked rice that way before but wasn't sure what you had meant.

20. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I've been on a brown basmati rice cooked in broth kick lately. Good stuff