The "no knead bread" thread!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Nov 25, 2014.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    After hi-jacking the what did you have for dinner thread with endless discussion on no knead bread and recipes, results, etc. It was suggested we have a thread specifically for this. ChefTalk has a dedicated forum for pastries and baking but I know we have a family here in the food & cooking forum that is unique and I am sure we'd enjoy having this here.

So that said, let's lead off with our ambassadors of no knead.. @petalsandcoco, @kaneohegirlinaz, and @French Fries and if you want to see what transpired in the what's for dinner thread start here

Post it up! What's your recipe for no knead? What experiences have you had? Any variations you've created from the base recipe? Photos are the fodder that keeps us moving.. so post those if you have them!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Okay @eastshores  I'll help to get this party started.

This is the recipe for home cooks, that our Niece-in-law sent me.

We were video-chatting one day and she was telling me, 

as well as showing me this recipe as she made it.

She had the remnants of the loaf that she had

baked that morning and it looked so good, I had to try it, 

with my own twist though.

The Family’s Amazing Bread

3 C AP flour

1 ¾ tsp Course Kosher Salt

½ tsp Active Yeast

1 ½ C Water, divided

Pinch of granulated Sugar

In a small bowl dissolve the yeast and sugar with ¼ of warm water (no hotter than 105⁰), let stand for about 5 minutes, until the yeast activates (gets foamy).

In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt with a whisk or fork.

*Add in the yeast mixture and remaining water (room temperature) to the flour mixture and combine well with a rubber spatula.

The dough will be VERY sticky.

Cover with plastic wrap and leave it sit at room temp for 12 to 18 hours.

Preheat the oven to 450⁰

Place an enamel cast iron dutch oven or any other oven safe pot with a well fitting lid (I own a Le Creuset as well as a Tramontina  from Walmart, way cheaper! Thanks for that tip @phatch) for 30 minutes.

In the meantime, turn the now risen dough out on to a well floured surface, remember, it’s still very sticky; shape the dough in a boule  and let it rest for that 30 minutes.  Cover with that plastice wrap (no need to get more) that was covering the bowl earlier, as to not form a skin on the dough.

DING!   The 30 minutes are up, now carefully remove the pot from the oven, taking off the lid and place the dough in to the now SCREAMING HOT  pot; cover and bake for 30 minutes.

DING!   The next 30 minutes are up, now remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.

Remove your masterpiece from the dutch oven and cool on a wire rack for a couple of minutes (my husband’s hardest couple of minutes) before slicing and then completely prior to storing.

* I add a half of a cup of coarsely grated Parmesan cheese to the dough for added flavor.  You make it your own with what your family likes.

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Thank you Shores for starting the thread. 

Nice looking bread Kgirl. Thanks for posting the recipe. I agree, you can vary the taste by what inspires you. I really enjoy it with Herbes de Provence.

I make my bread the same as what was posted in the Dinner thread, with the exception that I double the loaves. 

6 cups flour (in the pics here , I used bread flour but AP works also)

1/2 tsp instant yeast

3 tsp salt

6 cups of water

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add water. Mix. Cover. Let stand 12 hours.

Remove and toss on a floured surface, punch down, flour up, fold and place in dish seam side down.

Preheat oven 500 with dish inside with lid on (pyrex, creuset etc) .

Bake 30 minutes with lid on. Bake 20 lid off. 

Folks like this bread because no fat or sugar was added.

These were done the other day.

Here is some wheat bread getting ready to be tossed on my board.

This is white , like I said , a gentle mix and off you go

Whole wheat out of the oven yesterday

This morning, done is a pyrex, double loaf

Height

Length

It has a good chew and the crumb is perfect. Has anyone done a double loaf ? 

eastshores likes this.
  4. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm going to start my next batch now... 1/4 tsp of yeast this time.. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Looking forward the results, I'm sure you're going to knock it out of the ball park.

6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It worked!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif .. I'm so excited. I never would have thought the amount of yeast would make such a big difference. I think that and lowering the oven temp to 450 made the biggest differences. But using the right amount of flour to make it workable, along with spraying just a little oil in the pan helped. The bottom crust is just the right thickness and the outer crust is unbelievably thin but crisp. Due to the holidays I ended up letting this rise inside the microwave for probably around 25 hours. It has just the slightest bit of tang like a sourdough!

Fried up some leftover thanksgiving ham, scrambled eggs, and toasted homemade bread. Satisfying breakfast!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I bought some einkorn flower, just made this recipe, I'll bake it tomorrow night!!!

9. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh my gosh @eastshores  gorgeous, all I need with that is some butta

10. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks! I was wondering since I've only used King Arthur bread flour, has anyone tried with just AP? Would it produce a softer crumb than the higher protein bread flour? I thought on my next batch I'd go with 100% AP to see if there is a swing in how it comes out, then I could play with percentages of AP vs bread flour. I especially like the kind of bread I made last night for dipping in oil with garlic and herbs.. but it has to be fresh out of the oven. It develops a chew once it is cool that can be a little tough to eat.

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've tried both 100% AP and 100% bread without noticeable differences... although I didn't do an accurate side-by-side comparison. 

12. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I wonder if that is just the result of the slow rise. It develops a lot of gluten right?

So what makes bread softer? Less gluten/protein?

This is going to be a long thread for me haha

13. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  14. chrisscratch

chrisscratch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've done the New York times No Knead recipe from Sullivan bakery with results similar to the posters above but I've never tried with whole wheat. What modification if any to the recipe do you do for wheat.

Your loaves look great by the way!

15. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That recipe has worked great for me, too.

16. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    @ Phaedrus: Isn't it a simple and easy way to enjoy bread ?

@ ChrisScratch :  I did not modify the recipe, it worked very well. If you have not made the wheat bread yet, I suggest you give it a go, results are terrific.

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    My no-knead bread with einkorn flour didn't turn out so well. 

It seemed to rise a lot during the 14 hour rising period. So much so that I had to lift up the plastic wrap covering the bowl several times to let some of the gas escape. Not sure if I should have done that or not. 

When it was time to bake the bread, the dough was still very wet and sticky, making it very difficult to handle. I just dumped it onto parchment paper and placed the paper and dough into the dutch oven. 

The result was a rather flat, very dense bread. Still a lot of tiny bubbles, and surprisingly it actually tasted very good (I really love the taste of einkorn). But yeah, I'm hoping the next one will be a bit taller. Maybe less water will do the trick? 

18. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I would tend to think less water. That being said though, I have never tried it. Is there any info on their website FF or on the packaging ?

19. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, I followed their einkorn no-knead bread recipe: https://jovialfoods.com/recipes/slow-rise-einkorn-bread/

Looking at it again, it definitely looks like my dough was too wet. I'll try a bit less water next time. 

20. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I made no knead bread according to the recipe in the "what's for dinner" thread.
    I found the loaf a bit small, so the next time I made double the amount, but didn't change the yeast amount. I just let it rise a couple hours longer.
    I replaced one cup of AP for bread flour (bacause I ran out of AP) and one for whole wheat flour.
    It's a very sticky dough, so I just (almost) poured it into my cast iron pot.
    It's very chewy, but I liked it.
    There is just one catch with the recipe I used, it gets stale very quickly. I suppose that's because there is no oil/fat in the bread.
    It freezes well though.

No pictures, but will take some when I next make some