The next new cuisine ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefboy2160, Feb 25, 2004.

1. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So , now we have the 21st century . What shall be the next new grand food trend to follow and invent or copy or learn ? Have we reached the limit ? Are there realy new things we can do to entice our customers to eat at our restaurants . Besides the classy ads that are run on the TV , what can we do as chefs to create a new selling trend for the market ? I do not advocate this but look at what the atkins diet has done to people and to the food chains to satisfy this ! Whats next folks ?

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    From all that I have read it seems that Indian cuisine and Indian inspired Fusion cuisine is poised to explode into the marketplace in the next few years. Thanks to Vietnamese cuisine, people's fear of "curries" is slowly dying, opening the door for the "curries" and spices of Indian food.

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Central and south American is hot....shoot I just trying to get people eating fresh produce again....classes in the garden
    different beans grains preserved foods...I think some of the best restaurants around have tomato jam from last season or watermelon pickles or homemade BBQ sauce sitting the walkin I don't see that ending. Atkins is everywhere....I love bread way too much to visit Atkin land.

4. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Great responses ! Both are now new trends in this area . We have 2 new Indian joints , Several Vietnamese places as well as Salvadorian and a new one from Brazil called the Braza Grill which features beef , pork , turkey , Chicken,Sausage and Lamb all marinated and cooked on skewers in a display rottissere oven . The Wait Staff come around your tables with all of the different
    skewers of meat and offer you all you want , carved at the table for one price . The veggies , and dipping sauces as well as the desserts are strictly Brazilian and this restaurant seems to be flourishing in its first year .
    But ....... what about our cuisine here in America. From the deep south to the high north to the northwest and the southwest
    and dont forget the midwest has been explored and is known by all thanks to modern communication . My real question is what are we as American chefs going to bring about our new trend or food topic that the world talks about . Is the circle of our knowledge complete or are there other avenues that have yet to be explored ? I think it is time as American chefs to break this mold of trends and infusions from other cultures and to use the best that we have learned from all of them ( to the french I tip my hat ) and instead of parroting others, to get back to our own creative instincts and use what we have locally to create our menus and our food . Yes , we all are able to run grapes this winter with the bountifull crop in Chile and our transportation methods ( and they are so good ) but I can remember in my early years of cooking when in the winter this just did not happen . Produce was at a low point then .
    McDonalds set a trend that is American and world wide ! WoW , burgers and fries ! What can we do next is I guess what Im asking !
    OH yeah , if you have the meaning of life please respond .
    I guess that would be usefull also .
    Thanks , Doug..................... ;) ;)

5. genevieve.m

genevieve.m

O.K I’m not an American, but I am sick to death of fusion cooking. Can’t we just let it go? I have been working on simple flavour combinations incorporating readily available ingredients for about the last five years under the guidance of a 2 Michelin star trained French chef and it has opened my eyes to a whole new creative world.

For ten years before that, I worked with chefs heavily influenced by Asian cooking ingredients. But once you’ve added your hoisen sauce, oyster sauce and what ever else, the fresh flavour of the dish has gone and you have a gluggy sauce. Don’t get me wrong, it can be fantastic in the right hands but can’t we leave it to the experts now? The more innovative fusion creations I read about or try from local and overseas chefs and writers, the more I want to fly to Asia and learn first hand from the experts about the original cuisine. If it’s not broken don’t fix it!

Let’s find something new to play with like what is already right under our noses.

6. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Honestly, I think market demand is a big factor. In the past year We went from having one Greek restaurant here, to having three. Also we now have something like five or six grill houses, as rotisserie chicken and ribs seem to be the trendy foods right now. The customers know what they want, it's up to us to figure out what it is. Now that I think of it, it's just like playing stratego, one wrong move and you could step on a land mine.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    CoolJ , I disagree because I believe that GOOD FOOD is good food....it does not matter if the public thinks they want Greek or Sushi or fusion or down home food...if you've got a great product with good pricing people will come. Think of destination restaurants, it's not follow the leader it's blaze the trail. I look for fresh vegetables when I eat out, that is a big deal for me....I'm notvegetarian by any stretch of the imagination but if you have many different vegetable dishes on your menu that are singing with flavor I'm more apt to eat at your place than the veg medley of the day joint down the streeet.
    Just my two cents today....

8. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I really think many of us are doing what we think American cuisine is supposed to represent.

Our shores and farms now offer us some of the worlds finest and freshest ingredients to play with.

Chefs like Jean George and Gray Kunz have done a masterful job (IMO) of allowing east to meet west with incredible respect and refinement. However, as stated by Genevieve, let it rest with the masters.

I have said before on CT that I believe the cuisine of America is something yet to be codified by one style, the influence of our neighbers and the vast size of our country fosters at least six distinct cuisines.

1, North East

2, North West

3, Mid plain states

4, South West

5, South East

6, Southern states

All of these regions bring there own uniqueness to our food.

I think the trend in the states is to understand your regions and take advantage of it's resourses. To many chefs don't have the resourses they need to develope ther own strenghts because of the "Monsantos" of our buisness; i.e Sisco and the like.

Corporate feeding, schools and theme restaurants have to use pre-approved venders, this pigean toes chefs.

It is our duty as chefs to sing the virtues and teach the advantages of the sea and the soil. It still really matters how we buy, how we cook and who we support.

When you are done with your careers, it will be a wonderful feeling to know that as a culinarian, you did the best you could to promote wholesome native foods.

Many countries influence us of course, and this is great. The techniques i'm grounded in are European, which I feel are still the strongest in regards to learning how to cook from a fundimental standpoint. Now we have the technique and the resourses.

Wait, what was the question again?

;)