The new "Normal" for us all....

Joined Nov 2, 2016
So when you say that you really mean you want to reopen? I'm confused here, reading that makes it seem like you don't want to reopen.

I don't really see how it is a lie when the data clearly shows that statistically, you have a good chance of not dying from this, much less develop severe symptoms unless you have severe underlying health problems.

If you want to talk about "ignoring facts" you should also include with your number that approximately 7500 people die each day in the US and 250,000 people die world wide a day from various sources but we don't plaster it in everyone's faces all day everyday.

Wow.

You choose, willingly, to ignore what we were discussing. Just to remind you, it is about Your Customers. But gosh, you certainly can play the "What about ...this, or that Game" can't you?

You choose to bury your head in the sand, pretending that the chances of spreading this deadly disease are somehow "statistically" irrelevant. 12 % of Americans say they know someone who has died from the new coronavirus.

26% percent of respondents said they know someone who has tested positive for the coronavirus,

15 %said they know someone who tried to get tested but was turned away.

In the end, you choose to take an irresponsible view of having your business reopen, and the health and well being of your customers and staff take a back seat to your wallet.

You don't get it. IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU.

It is about your customers. Your staff. Your foods purveyors

Every single solitary one of them is at a level of risk; a risk you *choose* to ignore.

Joined May 25, 2015
Listen to yourself! Get a grip! Stop watching the crap on TV. The reality is that until they come up with a vaccine we are all at risk. And there are two risks. The other risk, which is just as deadly is "hiding under the bed" waiting for this to end. Not only is it ruining businesses and the economy, it's ruining the health of people both psychologically and physically.

What good will it do if we keep this up until they come up with a remedy and the economy is in shambles, everybody is broke or committed suicide and there are no jobs? Might as well have died of the virus to begin with.

The fortunate thing is that we can control one of the two risks right now. We can't do anything about the virus but we can mitigate it's effect on the population by getting back to normal as soon as possible. And from what I see, the only thing holding that up is the politicians worrying about overloading the healthcare system, not saving lives.

Joined Nov 2, 2016
Listen to yourself! Get a grip!....the economy is in shambles, everybody is broke or committed suicide and there are no jobs? Might as well have died of the virus to begin with.........but we can mitigate it's effect on the population by getting back to normal as soon as possible. And from what I see, the only thing holding that up is the politicians worrying about overloading the healthcare system, not saving lives.

Dear God.

Halb, the essence of your point of view is that gosh, it's a shambles, let's commit suicide and blame the politicians....

Tell us, sir: How many of your patrons are currently banging on your doors, begging you to reopen?

How many lives will be lost when you choose WILLINGLY to ignore the obvious health risks by reopening?

It's clear the pursuit of money is more important to you than the health and safety of your customers or staff.

Joined May 25, 2015
I'm not even talking about restaurants, but all businesses in general.

It's clear the pursuit of money is more important to you than the health and safety of your customers or staff.

It's clear to me that if we lapse into a depression more lives will be lost or ruined than from the virus.

Joined Nov 2, 2016
I'm not even talking about restaurants, but all businesses in general.

It's clear to me that if we lapse into a depression more lives will be lost or ruined than from the virus.

Tell that to the 80,000 dead...or to the friends I've lost to this disease. Of course, you'll have to go down to the morgue or the Cemetery to explain it to them....

Joined Aug 7, 2013
Regardless of the confusion at this time, the fact is that as long as the customer believes that they are being protected, they'll spend their money. How many of us are familiar with the actuality if how kitchens operate? All of us. Hands have never been clean enough. The dishes have never been washed enough. Hell, there's people working in our kitchens who don't bathe more than four times a week.

The customer doesn't know this. They aren't in BOH with us. The open kitchen joints have managers ensuring that we all look the part, but some don't care that some people come in smelling like orifice and goat yard. The closed kitchens tend to have staffs that aren't disciplined enough to even give the appearance of basic hygiene knowledge.

There aren't enough gloves in the world to accommodate the necessary, proper use of them. There isn't enough time on the line to properly wash our hands each and every time we need to. I've been admonished for using too many gloves, too many times, to not be aware of this. Step away from the line, after every steak, while I'm working the grill, in a steakhouse, in a Saturday night, in Texas, to wash my hands? How?

In the end, as long as the customer THINKS, everything is hunky-dory, it will be.

No?

Last edited:
Joined May 25, 2015
Thing is the "new normal" means that we have a duty to at least try and ensure that our customers will be as safe as possible. Not that we only make them think so.

In the back of house, you only need to wear gloves when preparing and plating RTE foods. Washing your hands is encouraged as often as possible but if you are a grill man that's not necessary for every steak. If you are handling raw chicken then steak then absolutely wash your hands before handling each one.

IMO servers shouldn't wear gloves. The concern is cross contamination from the customers at one table to another. That would require changing gloves each time a server went to and from a table. Wearing the same gloves for any length of time while serving multiple customers can spread the virus to all those customers as well as the kitchen. Long story short, WASH YOUR HANDS or at least use hand sanitizer each time you take things from a table.

Unfortunately what the customer has been made to believe is that the server needs to wear gloves because they may be carrying the virus. They need to know that it's actually the gloves that may be contaminated by other people in the restaurant.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 2, 2016
Being born is a death sentence. Get over it.

Wow. That took a dark turn.

Life is not, and never has been a "death sentence", regardless of what some say.

Life is a challenging, wonderful, stressful thing....and I choose to live every moment of every day with as much grace and fortitude as I can.

I understand your stress; my brother's restaurant is hanging on by a thread even as we go back and forth with our commentary. I and others in my family have done what we can to help him, and we pray it can, in the end, work out, not only for him but for other friends I have in the industry. Please know that includes you and yours.

Joined May 1, 2019
Regardless of the confusion at this time, the fact is that as long as the customer believes that they are being protected, they'll spend their money. How many of us are familiar with the actuality if how kitchens operate? All of us. Hands have never been clean enough. The dishes have never been washed enough. Hell, there's people working in our kitchens who don't bathe more than four times a week.

The customer doesn't know this. They aren't in BOH with us. The open kitchen joints have managers ensuring that we all look the part, but some don't care that some people come in smelling like orifice and goat yard. The closed kitchens tend to have staffs that aren't disciplined enough to even give the appearance of basic hygiene knowledge.

There aren't enough gloves in the world to accommodate the necessary, proper use of them. There isn't enough time on the line to properly wash our hands each and every time we need to. I've been admonished for using too many gloves, too many times, to not be aware of this. Step away from the line, after every steak, while I'm working the grill, in a steakhouse, in a Saturday night, in Texas, to wash my hands? How?

In the end, as long as the customer THINKS, everything is hunky-dory, it will be.

No?
How are you doing

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Thing is the "new normal" means that we have a duty to at least try and ensure that our customers will be as safe as possible. Not that we only make them think so.

In the back of house, you only need to wear gloves when preparing and plating RTE foods. Washing your hands is encouraged as often as possible but if you are a grill man that's not necessary for every steak. If you are handling raw chicken then steak then absolutely wash your hands before handling each one.

IMO servers shouldn't wear gloves. The concern is cross contamination from the customers at one table to another. That would require changing gloves each time a server went to and from a table. Wearing the same gloves for any length of time while serving multiple customers can spread the virus to all those customers as well as the kitchen. Long story short, WASH YOUR HANDS or at least use hand sanitizer each time you take things from a table.

Unfortunately what the customer has been made to believe is that the server needs to wear gloves because they may be carrying the virus. They need to know that it's actually the gloves that may be contaminated by other people in the restaurant.

This point exactly goes back to some of the original content. I believe people would be quicker to wash their hands if they were soiled without gloves as opposed to with. And if you are not going to change your PPE multiple times throughout the day (Which is hard for a lot of people due to the real quantity issues we have in this country) then it is only for show at the end of the day. It's the same line of logic that has health departments telling us not to have gloves or aprons on when smoking or traveling to the restroom. The ability to do more harm than good is high in those type of situations when people aren't actively thinking about the PPE.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
You lost me, are you saying this is not good logic?

No, sorry if that came out that way. I meant the same logic should be applied. People should not be wearing PPE/aprons/gloves all day because of examples of times when contamination can occur. If someone can't even remember to be sanitary and change things without being told during these times what makes people think they will change suddenly and just do it proactively throughout the day when not engaging in obvious activities. The same line of logic should be applied and not expect that having staff wear them all day when serving customers or preparing food will be a good thing.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
I figured that was what you meant. I am a big proponent of education/enlightenment as opposed to dumbing things down to regulations in order to protect us from ourselves. Unfortunately that requires that people participate and people seem to resist extending the effort to be educated.

I have nothing against people...some of my best friends are people!!! However my dog is also one of my best friends and she seems more receptive to training/education/enlightenment. :~)

Joined May 25, 2015
Unfortunately "just do it because I said so" is the only thing some people care to understand.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Unfortunately "just do it because I said so" is the only thing some people care to understand.

This mentality is what I am afraid of going forward. We already give so many people and groups control over various aspects of our life, once we open the flood gates all the way there is no going back.

Joined May 5, 2010
At present local government is requiring me to wear gloves and a mask while at work (in the grocery store) I find myself changing my gloves at least 15 times during my shift. We require customers to wear them while shopping and only allow 3 people in to the store at a time.
This virus is sickening and killing people. I don't understand why some people don't seem to be alarmed or concerned about this.

Top Bottom