The new "Normal" for us all....

Joined May 5, 2010
So it would seem that the media has taken upon itself to describe what life will be like for Chefs and restaurants in the future after Covid-19.
Chefs will no longer:
Be able to cook without a mask.
Be able to have a large staff
Be able to serve food buffet style
Be able to share work tools
Waitstaff are not immune either
No more condiments (mustard, ketchup, etc) on the tables
No more napkin dispensers
All staff must wear gloves when serving

These things may or may not come to fruition but they make sense......Scary stuff

Joined May 25, 2015
All staff must wear gloves when serving
I would expect that from the stupid media that has no idea what the purpose of gloves is. Are they going to change gloves each time they go to a different table? Or is it that they figure we have to be protected from the cooties that servers carry? :eek:

Every night on my local cable news I'm subjected to this twit, standing in the middle of nowhere giving a report, wearing a mask and blue gloves.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Anything and everything a Chef and FOH have to do to make the customer safe and comfortable eating at their restaurant. When you say no sharing knives, just think of multiple cooks on the front line touching ladles, pans, knives, spatulas and so on. Everyone needs to just use common sense.

Joined May 25, 2015
Anything and everything a Chef and FOH have to do to make the customer safe and comfortable eating at their restaurant.
Unfortunately public perception is media driven. The proper way is for servers to wash their hands frequently instead of wearing the same gloves for their entire shift just to make the customers think they are being protected.

Joined May 5, 2010
Yeah, the gloves thing is unfortunately here to stay. I am witness to their abuse daily at work in the grocery store.
Media driven everything makes the public either, indifferent or scared, depending on the day.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Unfortunately public perception is media driven. The proper way is for servers to wash their hands frequently instead of wearing the same gloves for their entire shift just to make the customers think they are being protected.
You could stand at the door and tell people that you feel the waitstaff washing their hands is a better idea than wearing gloves. The perception by your customers will be wearing gloves look safer. Thats all they hear on the news, were gloves and masks. You're not going to change that. It doesn't matter what is better, it matters what they think is better........I would hav the waitstaff take the order and deliver the food. I would have busboys pickup plates. I would have one person setting up tables and presetting whatever....

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The spanish flu led to the rise of closets (architecture) over wardrobes (furniture). Normal is always evolving.

Joined May 25, 2015
Interesting, never heard of that. Do you think it was to keep contaminated clothing out of the living areas?

Joined Jan 31, 2012
"Every night on my local cable news I'm subjected to this twit, standing in the middle of nowhere giving a report, wearing a mask and blue gloves."

There is a word for that within the television news media industry....
DRAMA!

The restaurant i was working in was already sanitising menus and keeping condiments off the table before the closures. IMO, the crisis just greatly increased conscientious diligence. Which is basically a good thing I think. But how much of it is actually reducing the virus risk Im rather doubtful on. Im in agreement with some that a lot of these measures that will be insisted upon are basically psychological warfare. War against a panicy, uniformed public. With the end objective being of course to make the public (falsely) comfortable so theyll still come in and keep our doors open.

Joined May 25, 2015
I found this in my inbox today-
Now some cities have taken the next step, throwing tables and chairs on roadways. Vilnius has become a big open-air cafe, with well-spaced places to eat in the city’s public square. In a two-week experiment in Tampa, Florida, businesses in some neighborhoods are allowed to put tables at 6-foot intervals and operate in what were once street parking spaces, even without a permit. It’s gaining support in San Francisco, which already has a program doling out parking spaces for small street-side cafés.
Full article here- https://www.wired.com/story/cities-reopen-outdoor-dining-lifeline/

Joined Mar 1, 2017
My brother is a doctor with more than 35 years in practice. For the first 26 of those years, he was a surgeon. This is what he has to say about the "protocols" involved with Covid 19.

He describes social distancing as a means to control the virus as a person who stays in the shallow end of a pool in an effort to not get wet. This virus spreads by contact. Touch something or someone who has been infected and chances are very, very good you will become infected. That's how it works. Being 6 feet away from someone is not going to do a thing to prevent the spread of the virus.

When it comes to masks that are not designed to protect against viral contagions, he calls them "bacteria bags." Masks and gloves are single use, short term PPE only. Neither are designed to protect the user from viral contaminates. Most people wear these masks for hours at a time, constantly touching them, adjusting them, taking them off and putting them back on again. Every time they touch their masks they contaminate their hands with their funk and then contaminate everything they touch, gloves or not. He says, and I quote, "they may as well lick their hands and go around touching everything."

He believes the only people who should be wearing masks of any sort are those who are sick and those who believe they may be infected. That's all. The masks will help reduce the risk of those who are infected from spreading the virus and through potentially infected body fluids such as saliva and mucus throughout their environment, but, that's about all.

He's a firm believer in the science that our immune systems are the best defense we have against things like Covid. I tend to agree with him. We both grew up in an age where vaccines and antibiotics were not dispensed like Pez Candy. Doctors let their patients be sick in order to develop their immune systems. As a result, the general public had a better tolerance for these things.

There's a lot of rumor and myth out there that's being taken as fact for the simple reason that its been repeated enough times. Even the government has bought stock in much of this anti-information. These are indeed very strange and very volatile times.

Be well, all. :)

Last edited:

nicko

Formerly 'nikeats'
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
sgsvirgil sgsvirgil I really liked what you said. In regards to our health and immune system I have been following Dr. Furhman for a while now and find that just eating well exercising goes a long long long way in avoiding the norms like heart disease, diabetes high blood pressure and keeps your immune system at its top.

Joined Nov 2, 2016

I'd point out it's Not "just to make the customer THINK they are being protected".

It is doing something to ACTUALLY help protect the folks who eat the food...and spend their money to keep places open.

Joined May 25, 2015
I'd point out it's Not "just to make the customer THINK they are being protected".

It is doing something to ACTUALLY help protect the folks who eat the food...and spend their money to keep places open.
We all know that washing hands frequently instead of wearing gloves WILL actually protect the customers. But it's what customers are led to THINK that will bring them in, and what they THINK is going to harm them.

So, you presume that Americans can't look things up, and make an informed choice?
With all the garbage from the media and on the internet it has always been a problem for people to make an informed choice. It's just too easy for anybody with an agenda, bias, opinion or just a nut case to put stuff out there for all to see. So it just boils down to "make it sound believable and people will believe it".

But now with this pandemic, even the so called experts don't know. So do you really think that the average person is going to be able to figure out what is best from everything they are bombarded with every day? This is a very emotional issue for many people, and when emotions take over rational thinking, people will not always do what the they should.

Joined Nov 2, 2016
But now with this pandemic, even the so called experts don't know. So do you really think that the average person is going to be able to figure out what is best from everything they are bombarded with every day?

That is a difference between you and I. Experts DO know of what they speak. That is WHY they are Experts. Would you permit some guy to walk in off the street and tell your staff he can do the job you do as well as you? No, you wouldn't, you are better than the average person at what you do.

There is no need to denigrate a person's expertise in their field any more than someone would come into your area and do the same. Professional respect cuts across such an idea.

Some seem to equate "people" as the same as Individuals. But Individuals are *not* ignorant sheep; Individuals can and do look to ascertain the facts....and not blindly follow what is "told" to them.

Joined May 25, 2015
That is a difference between you and I. Experts DO know of what they speak. That is WHY they are Experts. Would you permit some guy to walk in off the street and tell your staff he can do the job you do as well as you? No, you wouldn't, you are better than the average person at what you do.

There is no need to denigrate a person's expertise in their field any more than someone would come into your area and do the same. Professional respect cuts across such an idea.

Some seem to equate "people" as the same as Individuals. But Individuals are *not* ignorant sheep; Individuals can and do look to ascertain the facts....and not blindly follow what is "told" to them.
If the experts knew what they were talking about or at least agreed with each other we wouldn't be in as much of a mess as we are. Unfortunately some people are incapable of understanding that we have never encountered anything like this virus before, so nobody really knows. Medical professionals are divided on how best to handle and treat this. An example of this is the ten million respirators that were said to be needed. Not only did we not need nearly as many, but they were actually killing patients because the experts did not understand this disease.

Then when you consider the politics that controls a lot of this as well as the social engineering (media hype and drama to scare the public into compliance with what the experts say) I'll just use my own intelligence and training to do what I think is best for me and my family.

How easily led do you think people are when politicians go nuts thinking everybody will drink bleach and Lysol because Trump stupidly mentioned it jokingly. Sure sound like Ignorant sheep to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom