The Mousse is Loose!

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by theprivatechef, May 3, 2010.

1. theprivatechef

theprivatechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello out there in Cheftalk land,
    It seems every time a make a mousse, it always comes out loose no matter what recipe I use. I have know idea how anyone makes a mousse that can actually hold-up in between the layers of a cake. Can anybody help?
    The Private Chef

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    What kind of mousse?  Maybe someone in pastry can help you.

3. theprivatechef

theprivatechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Any kind, chocolate, white chocolate. I've never worked professionally in pastry. Is it okay to post there?
    Thanks,
    The Private Chef

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    What's your formula?  For chocolate you just have to make the ganache with less cream and more chocolate.  Same for white chocolate.  Maybe use cream stabilizer.

5. cakeface

cakeface

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If  you are making  geltine-set mousse, be sure to allow the base mixture containing the gelatine to set a bit ( when the mix at sides of the bowl start to firm up)  before adding  the  whipped cream/italian meringue otherwise it will be runny and not set properly.

6. bossacafez

bossacafez

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    i always use a base for mousse, such as creme anglaise or pate a bombe, followed by gelatin and whipped cream. it works beautifully and they're stable enough to hold inbetween layers in my entremets.