The most delicious vinagrette

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rexxar, Jan 24, 2010.

1. rexxar

rexxar

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I was recently working for a chef who made a coconut vinagrette and it had the best mouth feel of any cold sauce i had ever tatsed. It was .... fluffy but not stiff
    The Chef told me that it was caused by a thickener, the chef told me but his accent was so thick i couldn't for the life of me understand him

Anyone have an idea what this thickener could be?
    :laser:

2. luc_h

luc_h

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I suspect Agar Agar. it works very well with coconut cream

Otherwise, (sodium) alginate also would work. use in commercial vinaigrettes.

I do not think it was carrageenan mostly used for meat emulsions

All of these products are extracted from seaweeds by the way.

Luc H.

3. rexxar

rexxar

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thank you i'll deff be looking into these especially agar agar

4. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    fascinating!

we used to make vegan jelly from agar agar. agar also lends itself to disgusting bacterial growth science projects..

carrageen turns up all over the place in ingredient labels. I think they use it in vegan coconut ice cream! (coconut milk, flaked coconut, agave nectar, carrageen) keeps it from freezing too much, keeps it gooey.

ice cream being one of the most delicious places in general

west indian carrageen drinks are fun too. (extracted carageen from the dried then simmered seaweed, sweetend condensed milk, peanut butter, cloves, bitters) good for the libido so they say! like a low fat high protein milkshake that is still delicious and doesnt taste like health food. does have sugar though

can we get a sample recipe please. was this made with coconut oil or the coconut cream?

coconut oil has to be melted out of the cream that comes to the top when you squeeze the liquid from pulverized dried coconut meat....

5. rexxar

rexxar

Exp:
    Line Cook
    i will try to get a recipe next time i see him ( in a few day i think)
    i do know it was made with coconut cream though
    and cool idea with vegan ice cream